Saturday, Sept. 21

Online Only: The dichotomy of group work

In our school careers, all of us have had the experience of doing group work. It can take the form of a collaborative paper or a presentation, and the work burden is split between two or more people each doing an equal amount of work (at least, that's how it's supposed to go). Whether you're the slacker of the group or the one who has to carry all the weight on your shoulders, you have undoubtedly been involved with group work at one time or another. \nNow, group work isn't usually all that bad. It gives students a unique opportunity to work with others who they might not have otherwise even talked to. As atomized as our society is (especially among students), most people only converse with those they already know, or perhaps whomever they happen to be sitting next to in class. Group work changes that. And group work is of particular importance given that, regardless of what field you go into, it is more than likely that you will have to develop some kind of group communication skills and learn how to work with (or at least tolerate) colleagues and teammates. \nBut you might be the one who has to do the most work. From my experience, it seems that most students in groups are looking for that elusive person who will take over and do the work of several people. Why? Because they are too lazy or too incompetent to do it themselves. \nFor the hard workers of the group, you are gaining valuable experience by working with morons (although it really sucks, I know). But the world is filled with morons, and one day you will thank your loser group mates for preparing you so well. (OK, not really, but you might ponder it briefly one day when you're reading about their arrest in the police blotter). You can be appreciative of the fact that you are now an expert in dealing with the dumb. \nThe slackers of the group might be thrilled when they get that good grade on the project -- never mind the fact that they contributed little to it. This calls for celebration. That's right -- it's time to get wasted! But one good grade on one project will hardly raise your GPA, and the knowledge these slackers gain will be next to nothing.\nMeanwhile, the experience that those of you who actually contributed to the project gained will most likely help you with your next job. So if possible, take a deep breath and try to deal with the idiots as best as you can; you will have to do so for the rest of your career. \nThe slackers might realize they don't even need to be in school in the first place. After all, McDonald's still needs college dropouts. Besides, even if they opt to finish school, the job they get will still likely have them asking: "Would you like fries with that"