Saturday, Sept. 21

Toddler hospitalized after ingesting PCP

INDIANAPOLIS -- A toddler remained in critical condition Monday, a day after he drank from a juice bottle where his mother's boyfriend allegedly hid the hallucinogenic drug PCP during a traffic stop.\nAbout a half-hour after drinking the juice, 19-month-old Terion Vaughn stumbled, began drooling, "fell to the ground and couldn't hold his head up," according to a police report.\nHe was rushed to Methodist Hospital on Sunday morning, where he tested positive for the drug PCP or phenylcyclohexylpiperidine. \nThe boy's mother, Tamara Vaughn, 22, told police she gave the boy juice from a bottle that had been in her car the night before.\nAccording to a police report, she said that when she called her boyfriend, Montiez Mann, 27, from the hospital to tell him what happened, he told her he had poured liquid PCP into a juice bottle to hide it when Tamara Vaughn had been pulled over Saturday night for a traffic violation.

\nPolice, who interviewed Mann at the hospital, arrested him Sunday on a preliminary charge of possession of a controlled substance, a felony, said Sgt. Matthew Mount of the Indianapolis Police Department. Mann was being held in the Marion County Jail. \nMount said Tamara Vaughn was driving and Mann was a passenger when the car was stopped Saturday night for the traffic violation. She was cited for driving with a suspended license.\nMount said the Marion County prosecutor's office will decide whether Mann will be charged in connection with Terion Vaughn's ingestion of the drug.