Saturday, Sept. 21

world

Around the World

NASA will send a space shuttle to repair the Hubble Space Telescope, agency Administrator Michael Griffin announced Tuesday, reversing his predecessor's decision to nix the mission. Griffin's announcement was greeted eagerly by astronomers who feared the 16-year-old telescope would deteriorate before the end of the decade without new sensors and replacements for its aging batteries.

The White House accused John Kerry of troop-bashing, seizing on a comment the Democrat made to California students that those unable to navigate the country's education system "get stuck in Iraq." "Senator Kerry not only owes an apology to those who are serving, but also to the families of those who've given their lives in this," White House press secretary Tony Snow said.

The United States might approve an increase in Iraqi security forces, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Tuesday. Rumsfeld said he is "very comfortable" with the proposals made by the Iraqi government and top U.S. commander in Baghdad Gen. George Casey.

A U.S. Army soldier who fled to Canada rather than return to Iraq said Tuesday he was traveling to Fort Knox to surrender to military authorities. Kyle Snyder, a former combat engineer, left the U.S. in April 2005 while on leave to avoid a second deployment to Iraq.

Vice President Dick Cheney said the increase of violence in Iraq is linked to elections in which Republicans are struggling to keep control of Congress. Cheney said al-Qaida and other elements were trying to "break the will of the American people" because "they think we don't have the stomach for the fight long-term"