Saturday, Sept. 21

Chargers win high-scoring shootout against Bengals 49-41

CINCINNATI -- LaDainian Tomlinson tied his career high with four touchdowns, and Philip Rivers threw a touchdown pass under pressure that completed the Chargers' furious rally Sunday for a 49-41 victory against the Cincinnati Bengals.\nFor Rivers, it was the type of comeback that defines a quarterback -- and a season. Then again, this one could be a turning point for both teams' seasons.\nSan Diego (7-2) scored 42 points in a second-half comeback that was characteristic of the old Air Coryell days. But instead of Dan Fouts, it was first-year starter running the show in his best performance yet.\nBengals receiver Chad Johnson set a club record with 260 yards and a pair of long touchdowns, and Carson Palmer had the first 400-yard passing game of his career. It didn't matter because Cincinnati (4-5) was helpless to stop the Chargers' two offensive stars in the second half.\nRivers was 24-of-36 for 337 yards and three touchdowns, leading the Chargers to their best point total in 20 years. He had a lot of help from Tomlinson, who ran for a pair of touchdowns during a pivotal 15-second span of the fourth quarter.\nIn the end, it came down to one nifty play by Rivers, who rolled left to avoid the rush and threw a 5-yard shovel pass to tight end Brandon Manumaleuna in the end zone just as he was getting leveled by two pass rushers with 2:29 to play.\nHow good was Rivers? San Diego scored touchdowns on seven of its last eight possessions, not counting a pair of run-out-the-clock moments.\nThe Bengals had one final chance to tie it with a touchdown and 2-point conversion, but Palmer threw to a covered Glenn Holt on fourth-and-10 from the Chargers 15-yard line with 44 seconds to go.\nFOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Chad Pennington marched the New York Jets through the mist and tightened the AFC East race.\nRelying on short gains and long drives on a rainy day, the Jets ending the Patriots' streak of 57 games without consecutive losses.\nPennington also had a hand in the previous losing streak, when he led the Jets to a 30-17 win in December 2002 one week after the Patriots lost to Tennessee.\nAfter the Jets ended a seven-game losing streak to the Patriots, head coaches Eric Mangini and Bill Belichick exchanged another passing handshake -- slightly more substantial than the fleeting, loose-handed greeting the two shared after the first meeting that ended in a win by New England.\nPreseason favorites to win their fourth straight division title, the Patriots (6-3) lead the Jets (5-4) by just one game.\nPennington was 22-for-33 for 168 yards. Kevan Barlow gained 75 yards on 17 carries.\nPHILADELPHIA -- After plenty of tough breaks during a three-game losing streak, the Eagles finally got a big play and a lucky bounce.\nDonovan McNabb threw an 84-yard touchdown pass to Donte' Stallworth and Sheldon Brown returned an interception 70 yards for a score.\nThe Eagles (5-4) improved to 8-0 following a bye under coach Andy Reid while earning their first win since beating Dallas 38-24 on Oct. 8.\nPhiladelphia got a fortunate bounce to take a 17-0 lead in the second quarter. On third-and-15 from the Eagles 45, McNabb completed a 20-yard pass to Reggie Brown near the right sideline. Brown appeared to try to lateral the ball as he was being hit by Shawn Springs.\nThe ball popped straight into the arms of a streaking Correll Buckhalter, who scored the 37-yard touchdown.\nMcNabb completed 12 of 26 passes for 222 yards. Stallworth had six catches for 139 yards and Brian Westbrook ran for 113 yards.\nIt was a costly defeat for the Redskins (3-6), who lost Clinton Portis to a broken right hand in the first quarter.\nNASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Steve McNair showed the Titans what they gave up by not wanting to pay him. It was an expensive lesson.\nMcNair threw his third touchdown with 3:35 left and the Ravens, rallied from a 26-7 deficit for the win and their best start ever.\nThe Titans (2-7) had a last chance to send McNair back to Maryland a loser. But Trevor Pryce blocked a 43-yard field goal attempt by Rob Bironas with 33 seconds left, allowing McNair to celebrate on the field where he had won so many games before.\nBaltimore (7-2) needed McNair because a defense that came in as one of the NFL's stingiest overall and against the run gave up 162 yards rushing with Ray Lewis sidelined by a sore back.