Thursday, Oct. 3

Concert honors Hoagy Carmichael

Jazz from Bloomington will play famous songs

Contrary to what some might believe, John Mellencamp is not the only famous musician to have ever called Bloomington home. Hoagy Carmichael, the musician responsible for composing Georgia's state song, was actually born and raised in the heart of Indiana. He is even buried at the Rose Hill Cemetery, located at 1100 W. Fourth St.\nAt 3 p.m. this Sunday at the John Waldron Arts Center, Jazz from Bloomington will host its annual tribute concert to the iconic musician, "Hoagy's Affair to Remember." Tickets are $13 for the general public and $10 for members of Jazz from Bloomington. \nChris Schleicher is the event's publicist and a board member on Jazz From Bloomington, the organization responsible for bringing the concert into existence.\nSchleicher said the group holds the annual event during this time because Carmichael was born Nov. 22, 1899.\n"This year, the event is a little different," she said. "We have the Waldron set up with around eight tables with tablecloths, flowers -- there will still be seating in the regular area of the Waldron, too. We're also going to have a cash wine bar."\nEach of the tables seat about six to eight people and are being sold for $100. The retirement community, Meadowood, has already bought two of the tables.\nThe musical director of the show, Monika Herzig, emphasized the effect of Carmichael's legacy on Bloomington.\n"He was raised here, and in his autobiography, he talks a lot about the area," she said. "One of the most important songs in history, 'Stardust,' was written on Third Street, and he has all these stories about his stay and his fraternity. Bloomington was a very important part of his upbringing. His songs are part of American history and heritage."\nFreshman Eric Van Gucht agreed with Herzig on Carmichael's importance. Enjoying Carmichael is not only about the music, but also a matter of having Bloomington pride, he said.\n"Since I grew up here ... it's partly based on me saying 'I grew up in the same town as a jazz legend,'" he said. "What really strikes me is 'Georgia On My Mind.' It was a Hoagy tune before Ray Charles did it. And the tenderness of the lyrics combined with the smoothness of the melody has me humming it in my head on a regular basis."\nSunday's concert features some of Bloomington and Indianapolis' best musicians, including pianists Luke Gillespie and Ric Heeter, as well as vocalists Karl Sturbaum, Margery Sauve, Thea Bransby, Cathy Spiaggia and Brenda Williams. Herzig and Schleicher will also be performing.\n"(The event) is a great way to bring together Bloomington musicians and create something great," Herzig said.\nIn addition to the concert, Jazz From Bloomington is also sponsoring the Hoagy Carmichael Landmark Project, a life-size bronze statue of Hoagy sitting at his grand piano. The organization hopes to have it placed in People's Park, at the corner of Dunn Street and Kirkwood Avenue, when the statue is fully completed.\nAdvanced tickets to "Hoagy's Affair to Remember" are still available at the Sunrise Box Office, 114 E. Kirkwood Avenue, or by calling 323-3020. Tickets can also be purchased online at www.bloomingtonArts.info.