Saturday, Sept. 21

Election 2006 - Congress 9th District

While candidates race and voters consider running to the polls, IDS columnists are quick to endorse.

Baron Hill and the Democrats advocate change this year. \nRepublicans, on the other hand, would have us believe it is necessary to stay the course -- not in reference to Iraq but to maintaining a GOP majority in Congress. Perhaps al-Qaida is planning to detonate nuclear weapons in America if Nancy Pelosi becomes Speaker of the House and the only way to prevent this scenario is to vote for Mike Sodrel.\nAt least it seems that's what they want us to believe. \nThe truth is, neither the Democrats nor the Republicans have a clear view of how to lead the country, much less the 9th District. \nHill wants to retake his old seat while claiming to be an outsider and a beacon of change. But he's is a professional politician, a slick go-getter. The only change he'd be bringing to Congress is a different nameplate on the office door. \nMike Sodrel is a distant businessman beholden to corporate and overtly conservative interests. A vote for Sodrel is a vote for close-minded ideology.\nSo does this mean a default endorsement of Libertarian candidate Eric Schansberg? Well, no.\nSchansberg, a Libertarian, might be an attractive alternative to those unimpressed by Hill or Sodrel. However, casting a vote for this outside contender should be approached with apprehension. Schansberg, who seems to assume that pointing out weaknesses in the other parties will validate his own stance, doesn't seem to be a traditional Libertarian. While the official Web site of the Libertarian National Committee lists the right to privacy as one that "should not be infringed by the government," Shansberg is "unabashedly pro-life," according to his Web site, as if this stance is mandated by his religious views. His basic biographical information seems to not only underline his evangelical Christian status, but also flaunt these beliefs as if they will earn him additional credit. A vote for a candidate who boasts more of leading "Bible studies for the last 15 years" than he does of any previous political experience seems to be a vote for the right-wing agenda that already has an overwhelming hold on current policy makers.\nYour best bet: Vote your conscience, but don't be afraid to leave the ballot blank.