Thursday, Oct. 3

Faculty members join Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra for free show

The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra will give a free performance at 3 p.m. Sunday in the Musical Arts Center. The show will feature Jacobs School of Music faculty members Jaime Laredo and Sharon Robinson.\nViolinist Loredo and cellist Robinson, who joined the faculty in 2005 and are celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary this year, will perform Johannes Brahms' "Double Concerto in A Minor," a piece for violin, cello and orchestra. The concert will also include pieces by Giuseppe Verdi and Jean Sibelius, according to the event press release from the Jacobs School of Music.\nLaredo, a chaired violin professor at IU, made his orchestral debut with the San Francisco Symphony at the age of 11. Since then, he has performed with more than 100 international orchestras as a soloist, including the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the New York Philharmonic. He has also performed with the National Symphony Orchestra and the Philadelphia Orchestra. \nRobinson has appeared on Lincoln Center's "Great Performers" series and has made many other television appearances, including "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and the annual "Kennedy Center Honors" program. \nIn 1976, Laredo and Robinson formed the Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio with pianist Joseph Kalichstein. The Trio made its debut at the White House at President Jimmy Carter's inauguration in 1977 and was named Musical America's "Ensemble of the Year" in 2002. In 2003, the trio served for its first time as the Chamber Ensemble in Residence at the Kennedy Center during the Center's 2003-04 season.\n"Jaime Laredo and Sharon Robinson, both collectively and individually, are a significant and invaluable force in the international world of music," said Gwyn Richards, dean of the Jacobs School of Music, according to a press release from April 2005, when the school announced the two would join the faculty.\nSunday's performance will be conducted by Mario Venzago, who is in his fourth season as the music director of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. This is the first time Laredo and Robinson have worked with him.\n"When working with an orchestra, there are often so many variables that go into it. Sometimes you've never met the conductor or it's a new piece that has never been performed before." Robinson said. "You have to know every part that is played within the piece and hear the dialogue between instruments."\nRobinson and Laredo will premiere the concertos Friday in Indianapolis with the ISO and will perform again Saturday before coming to Bloomington.\n"Premieres of works are always very satisfying, but I like when the pieces are settled -- usually after two or three performances," Robinson said. "By the time we get to Bloomington, the show should be great."\nThe show is presented by the Jacobs School of Music and is open to the public. Although admission is free, tickets are required and can be secured in advance at the MAC Box Office or by phone at 855-7433.