Saturday, Sept. 21

world

Internationally, many see Democratic victories as rejection of Bush's policies

MADRID, Spain -- Wednesday, the seismic shift midterm elections brought to Washington's political landscape was welcomed by many who oppose the war in Iraq and the harsh methods the Bush administration has employed in fighting terrorism.\nFrom Paris to Pakistan, politicians, analysts and ordinary citizens said they hoped the Democratic takeover of the House of Representatives would force President George W. Bush to adopt a more conciliatory approach to global crises and teach a president many see as a "cowboy" a lesson in humility.\nSome also expressed fears that a split in power and a lame-duck president might stall global trade talks and weaken much-needed American influence.\nAbout Iraq, some feared Democrats will force a too-rapid retreat, leaving that country and the region in chaos. Others said they doubted the turnover in congressional power would have a dramatic impact on Iraq policy any time soon, largely because the Democrats have yet to define the specifics of the course they want to take.\nU.S. ambassador to Iraq Zalmay Khalilzad said American policy would not dramatically change, despite the Democratic election success.\n"The president is the architect of U.S. foreign policy," the ambassador said in a videotape distributed by the U.S. Embassy. "He is the commander in chief of our armed forces. He understands what is at stake in Iraq."\nRegardless of the effect on world events, global giddiness that Bush was finally handed a political black-eye was almost palpable.\n"Of course, the citizens of the United States are humans with a conscience. It's a reprisal vote against the war in Iraq, against the corruption" within the Bush administration, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said. "All this fills us with optimism"