Thursday, Oct. 3

Jacobs School of Music adds 2 new courses for spring

The Jacobs School of Music will offer two new courses for the spring semester to music and nonmusic students alike. They are Choral Masterworks, taught by Katherine Domingo and Opera Theatre Series I, taught by Constance Glen.\nChoral Masterworks will "introduce (its students) to the masterpieces of choral music through musical, historical and cultural contexts," according to the Schedule of Classes Bulletin. \n"There are nearly 30 million people in our country who sing in choruses of all types," Domingo said. "I hope that students who take this course understand how choral music has been used as a powerful and effective tool for communicating ideas throughout our history and culture."\nDomingo said she will expose her students to a wide variety of choral ensembles -- from traditional symphonic and a cappella choruses to more recent developments like show choirs and vocal jazz ensembles.\nDomingo said that she hopes there will be many students in her class who do not have particularly strong musical training.\n"I love teaching nonmusic majors because their knowledge of music comes from such varied backgrounds and experiences," she said. \n"I have had business school students, students who are now in medical and law school and students who have been playing piano or violin for over 10 years -- all in the same class," she added.\nMusic lovers of all sorts will also be able to take Glen's Opera Theatre Series I. Glen will be offering a window into the "passion and drama of the operatic stage through its stories, characters and music," according to the Schedule of Classes Bulletin. \n"I'll emphasize the most popular opera composers and two or three of their works," Glen explained. "The structure will be historical ... but I'll also differentiate and organize by genre as well."\nGlen said she too looks forward to working with a variety of students.\n"I hope some students who have never had any experience with opera will take the course and learn to love the art form," she said. "I hope students with some background in opera will become more immersed in the musical meaning and context, deepening their understanding of individual works and composers."\nGlen said she will do this both through reading and listening, as well as through tours of the various opera production shops and possibly attendance of dress rehearsals.\nOpera Theatre Series I will meet only once a week, 6 to 8:45 p.m. Tuesdays. Choral Masterworks will meet 10:10 to 11 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Registration for the spring semester remains open until Jan. 12.