Saturday, Sept. 21

Jordan River Forum

LGBT editorial wrong on multiple counts

The IDS editorial on Nov. 1 ("Sexual preference") was nothing short of offensive to me as a gay man, as a Middlebury College alumnus and admissions employee, and as a former reporter. It was quite clear from the numerous factual errors and thoughtless assumptions that there was not even the slightest interest in investigating the facts surrounding Middlebury College's admissions policies.\nFirst of all, Middlebury College is in Vermont, not New Jersey.\nSecond, despite reports to the contrary, Middlebury College has no policy that grants "affirmative action" to LGBT students. Middlebury's policy, which it has had for years, is to consider every aspect of a student's profile (except for financial need, which is handled by a separate office that has no input in admissions) when considering an applicant. This means that the fact that a student is openly gay matters as much as the fact that he or she is openly artsy, openly athletic, openly geeky or openly Hispanic.\nThird, financial aid at Middlebury is wholly need-based. There are no scholarships for merit, athletics, race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity or any other factor beyond how much a student's parents can afford to pay, which is decided after a student has already been granted admission.\nBeyond factual errors, assumptions that openly LGBT students do not face barriers that prevent them from going to college are nothing short of ridiculous. With harassment in schools on the rise, gay students face constant pressure to stay closeted, and LGBT teens have one of the highest suicide rates in the country. For a student to be openly lesbian in Kentucky or Kenya is all the more difficult, and a student's bravery in facing this situation cannot be ignored or faked, as you seem to suggest, without the skilled committee noticing.\nThe question was posed, how can one prove orientation? Students have lied on their applications from the beginning, and this small aspect of their lives will not get them into Middlebury, which accepts about one-fourth of its applicants.\nIn short, before making irresponsible assumptions and judgments, perhaps a simple phone call to the parties involved would be a wise move.

9th District column wrong regarding \nelection's significance

Jason F. Siegel\nGraduate student\nEditor's note: The story that prompted Wednesday's staff editorial came originally from Princeton University's Daily Princetonian. The IDS editorial board has been working on verifying the validty of the article since the discrepancy came up.

Your Nov. 1 election piece, "Election 2006 -- Congress 9th District" by Rachel Fullmer and Scott Leadingham, is irresponsible, incorrect and practically "un-American" in effectively advising would-be voters to stay away from the polls.\nFullmer and Leadingham argue that there is no appreciable difference between the candidates, except that "(T)he only change (Baron Hill would) be bringing to Congress is a different nameplate on the office door." They advise voters: "Don't be afraid to leave the ballot blank."\nContrary to their view, this election -- and the votes that their article could dissuade -- will determine far more than nameplates on a door.\nThis race will determine which party controls the House of Representatives. Will it be the stay-the-course, pro-Bush Republicans or the Democrats? If the House changes hands, our country's policy will likely change internally and externally in more ways than I can list in this short letter. Hill's party affiliation alone is significant in this race, a point wholly missed by your columnists.\nWas that point missed purposely? Is the column meant to be anti-Democrat? A reasonably certain effect of such "don't-vote" advice, targeted to change-seeking voters in a college town, would be to deter would-be-Democrat voters from going to the polls.\nPartisan or not, the advice is anti-democratic with a little "d." Despite that column, each race counts in this election, just as each vote counts in our democracy. Shame on the Daily Student for running such an irresponsible piece.

Jay Heeter\nLaw student

Disappointed with Anti-Sodrel, \nPro-Hill ads

I am very disappointed by the recent ads criticizing Congressman Mike Sodrel for being a millionaire. I think that it is sad that millions of people watch the game shows "Deal or No Deal" or "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and cheer when people immediately get rich but look poorly upon a man who has worked hard for more than 30 years to build two businesses from scratch. Mike was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth; he has worked for every penny and has relied upon his own personal responsibility during the process. By doing this, Mike Sodrel has achieved the American dream, and many despise him simply because of partisan politics. I am also offended by the Veterans for Baron ad. I have been in the military for seven years. I served in the Army during Operation Iraqi Freedom and am currently in the Air National Guard. I am not pleased that Baron Hill advocates the cut-and-run strategy that will make all of our service men and women's service during this war be in vain. Baron Hill is the same man who voted to make the burning of the very American flag that I serve to protect legal. I don't know who those veterans were standing behind Baron, but I am severely disappointed that they approve of Baron's actions.

Shane Kennedy\nChairman, IU College Republicans

Sodrel supports useless war

Mike Sodrel does not support our troops. Leaders who waste American lives on meaningless adventures must be removed. Mike Sodrel supports a war that hurts America. Soldiers want out. Citizens want out. We need Sodrel voted out. More than 100 Americans died in Iraq last month. Seventy-two percent of American soldiers now serving in Iraq, believe we should be out of there soon. Soldiers' organizations are protesting the war. Two out of three Americans believe that this was the wrong war to wage. Senior officers like Maj. Gen. John Batiste and Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton are asking for a change of civilian leadership. The military is stretched thin. North Koreans and others are taking advantage while we bleed in Iraq. What's worse, we are doing no good in Iraq: 100 Iraqis die every day. When will it end? Mike Sodrel has failed to support our troops. Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America give Sodrel a ''D'' for support of troops. Hoosier soldiers and guardsmen are dying in a conflict that makes no sense because Sodrel does not have the courage to face the Bush administration or the ability to think of a solution. We need responsible leadership in Congress. Sodrel must go.

Ozair M. Shariff \nSenior

Christians should support Sodrel

If you are undecided on who to vote for in the upcoming midterm elections, keep a few things in mind. First, if you are a Christian or believe in God to any degree, Baron Hill stands for nearly everything we Christians know is wrong. Secondly, Mike Sodrel is a morally bound man who believes in faith, tradition, respect and honor. We need good people in Congress, and Mike Sodrel is a good man. Vote for Mike Sodrel. \nThanks,

Christopher Mitseff\nSenior

Support Baron Hill!

I have been registered as a Republican since 1973, but after carefully studying the issues, I am voting for Baron Hill. Washington needs a change in direction to tackle the incompetence and corruption that have plagued this administration. Mike Sodrel is a rubber stamp, voting 97 percent with the president.\nWe need to re-establish the system of checks and balances for the Bush administration by strategically giving control of the Congress to the Democrats this term. Retired Maj. Gen. John Batiste, who served in Iraq and is a lifelong Republican said, "The best thing that can happen right now is for one or both of our houses to go Democratic so we can have some oversight." Retired Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton agrees. \nThis is the most important midterm election I can remember in the Indiana 9th Congressional District. Our district has the opportunity and the responsibility to change control of the Congress. Help make America stronger by returning to a two-party government. Help stop the pointless loss of thousands of American lives and billions of American dollars in Iraq. Vote for Baron Hill for Congress on Nov. 7.

Grace Anderson\nAlumna

Sanders for 4th District

Considering all of the media coverage and publicity about the 8th and 9th Congressional District races, local voters in the 4th District might not realize there is another choice to be made Nov. 7. David Sanders is running for U.S. representative in the 4th District, against incumbent Steve Buyer. Sanders is a strong supporter of education who favors local control of our schools over unfounded mandates such as "No Child Left Behind." Sanders promotes expanding financial aid programs for college students. He advocates affordable health care available to all people. Sanders also stands for traditional American freedoms and opposes the erosion of our civil liberties.\nShould David Sanders be elected to Congress, it would be a refreshing change from 14 years of representation by Steve Buyer. Buyer has been endorsed by a number of far-right organizations, and he advocates a stay-the-course policy in the Iraq war. It's time for a new direction -- in the war and in the 4th District. If you live in western Monroe County, Lawrence County or Morgan County, you live in the 4th District. Please vote Tuesday, and please vote for David Sanders.

Jim Johnson\nStaff member, Instructional Support Services

Why attack Kinsey Confidential?

Regarding Lucas M. Fields' letter regarding the appropriateness of certain elements of the IDS (featured letter, IDS Opinion front, Nov. 1): In the letter, Mr. Fields suggested that the Kinsey Confidential column was not appropriate because "the IDS should set its sights high." While I agree with Mr. Fields' sentiments, that the IDS should strive for excellence, I am curious as to why a column that has been running in the IDS since 2001 is not worthy of being on the same page as comic strips, a crossword and horoscopes. Moreover, I am also curious as to why Mr. Field's letter was specifically in response to the Oct. 25 Kinsey Confidential column rather than about the column in general. It seems odd that the column specifically cited was one discussing the sex lives of gay men, but previous columns that have run throughout the semester and have discussed heterosexual issues were not mentioned.\nEven if the topic of the Oct. 25 column was not an issue, I am still curious as to why, out of all the sections of the IDS, it was the Kinsey Confidential that was singled out as not living up to a high standard. On the same page as the Kinsey Confidential are several elements that are not, strictly speaking, newsworthy. Why then, is a sex advice column less appropriate than comic strips, a crossword or a horoscope? Are we to believe that these topics somehow have more to do with news than a sex column that aims to educate its readers? While I risk having the stars align against me by saying this, I feel that if the content of the IDS is to be criticized for not living up to the standards of a high-quality newspaper, the Kinsey Confidential should not be the first section that comes to mind.

Bryan-Mitchell Young\nGraduate student

Swimmers only get negative publicity from IDS

Regarding "4 IU swim team members arrested for multiple crimes" by Kristi Oloffson (Oct. 24):\nHere at IU, we have many athletic teams -- some that win, some that can't. Last February when the men's swimming and diving team won the Big Ten Championships, I was ecstatic. I was, however, not shocked when there was hardly an article of recognition in the IDS the week following the championship.\nIt is then easy to understand my surprise Oct. 24 when I skimmed the front page of the IDS and my eyes caught sight of that eight-letter word, swimmers. As a fan of all things swimming, I took a second look and was immediately disappointed. The men's swimming and diving team finally made the front page but for all the wrong reasons. The article did not boast of the swimmers' first meet of the season, which they were victorious in, but publicized an incident that is hardly pertinent to the character of this athletic team.\nI agree that the swimmers involved needed to be punished for their actions. I just find it sad that the only time this athletic team gets publicity, it is not for its NCAA ranking, Big Ten Championship or countless wins. Maybe if the team starts start losing continuously, it will be able to get that four-page spread like the football team.

Kaitlin Myers\nJunior

Iran: The bank account of terror

My past summer, which I spent enrolled as a student at the University of Haifa in northern Israel, came to a booming halt just a week into classes.. Just a week into classes. Hezbollah, a Lebanese terrorist organization, began firing rockets into the third most-populated city in the country, causing my friends and I to leave our dorms and seek shelter in bunkers and bomb shelters. \nWhat's worse is that these terrorist groups, which attack not only Israelis but Americans and anyone seen as pro-Western as well, are supported by actual countries -- both economically and militarily. The state of Iran provides Hezbollah and other terrorist groups with large amounts of money and equipment so they may continue their terrorist activities. \nHowever, Iran's actions are not limited to logistics. Iran has continued to defy the U.N. Security Council and its demands for a complete halt to all uranium enrichment. The date issued by the Security Council -- Aug. 31 -- for an end to nuclear enrichment has come and gone, and yet the International Atomic Energy Agency has reported that Iran's nuclear program goes on, undeterred.\nIran's leaders, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, have made statements that make it abundantly clear what Iran's intentions are. Khamenei has said, "Iran has made its own decision, and in the nuclear case, God-willing, with patience and power, will continue its path." Ahmadinejad has, on several occasions, expressed his disdain for the United States and for Israel, threatening to "wipe Israel off the map."\nWith leaders like Khamenei and Ahmadinejad, a nuclear Iran would represent the most serious threat to the Middle East and the United States since the Cold War. The world must act now to prevent Iranian nuclear capabilities from reaching a catastrophic level. Iran has showed that it in no way intends to end such a pursuit. As IU students, we can all play our own role in the fight against terror. I urge anyone who hasn't done so to register to vote, and if you are already registered, to learn more about how your candidates are fighting terrorism.

Jessica Gross\nIndiana Israel Public Affairs Committee

Kudos to Asian Student Association

This afternoon (Oct. 27), I attended a lecture/discussion at the Asian Culture Center on 10th Street, where we discussed stereotypes of Asian males. Although I see flyers come across my desk in the residence hall for all sorts of activities put on by the Asian Student Association, this is the first event of theirs I've actually attended. \nSince I'd never been to the Asian Culture Center, I was afraid I'd feel like an outsider but was surprised to find that I felt very welcome. I didn't expect what I found when I got there -- a very good-sized group of all different races and backgrounds. We had a very open and informative discussion, in which everyone was welcome to contribute and everyone felt free to express their thoughts. The discussion was guided by a student, and many students were present, as well as faculty and staff members.\nThe Asian Student Association does a great job of putting out a ton of flyers in the residence halls announcing their events, but I just thought I'd share my experience to let others know about this great place! I went on a lark, and I'm so glad I did. You don't need to be Asian to go! You won't feel like an outsider at all, and you will most definitely learn something and probably come out a better-educated and more well-rounded person having attended one of their lecture series or discussions. Think about it. It's a great experience! Not boring at all. Thank you, Asian Student Association, for promoting this type of thing and doing such a great job at facilitating!

Leah Drichel\nIU Staff, Residential Programs & Services

Columnist wrong about PETA

Regarding Tyler James Perry's Oct. 24 commentary ("PETA hates animals") about People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals: PETA does not oppose kind people's practice of sharing their lives and homes with animal companions whom they love and care for properly. We even have a Web site, www.HelpingAnimals.com, devoted to helping people become better guardians. \nHowever, breeding facilities, pet shops and many kennels offer notoriously little comfort and care to the animals they buy and sell. Like all businesses, they are out to turn a profit, not to advance animal rights. Nearly nine out of every 10 puppies sold in pet stores come from puppy mills, breeding kennels that raise dogs in cramped, crude, filthy conditions. Female dogs are generally bred twice a year and are usually destroyed when they are no longer able to produce puppies. Both the puppies and their mothers routinely suffer from malnutrition, exposure and a lack of adequate veterinary care. Many have pneumonia, kennel cough, mange, ringworm and other diseases. \nBetween 3 million and 4 million animals are euthanized in shelters around the United States every year. Most are young, healthy and friendly. Many -- about 25 percent of dogs who enter shelters -- are purebred. PETA encourages people who have enough time, patience and money to devote to a dog or cat to adopt an animal from a shelter or rescue organization. \nAnimals should always be spayed or neutered to help combat overpopulation and prevent certain health and behavioral problems. In six years, a fertile dog and her offspring can theoretically produce 67,000 dogs. In just seven years, it is possible for one fertile cat and her offspring to produce approximately 420,000 cats. \nSpaying reduces the stress and discomfort females endure during heat periods, eliminates the risk of uterine cancer and greatly reduces the chance of mammary cancer. Neutering makes males much less likely to roam or fight and helps prevent testicular cancer. To find out about low cost spay/neuter services near you, please contact SPAY-USA at 800-248-7729.

\nHeather Moore\nPeople for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)

Childbearing is a gift

Regarding Amy Gastelum's letter to the Jordan River Forum ("Abortion-genocide comparison wrong," Oct. 26):\nHebrews 12:2: "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." \nIn a world where we're told from every direction that "we deserve" everything from "a break today" to 0 percent interest for 60 years on whatever we want to have right now, it's no surprise that women would hate the idea of motherhood. For me, pregnancy involves about four months of throwing up throughout the day. Once that stage is done, the back pain begins, not to mention leg cramps, heartburn, trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the difficulty of just being huge. Nine months is a long time to endure the physical changes that pregnancy brings. Then there's the birth itself followed by all the difficulties of raising a child. This doesn't fit in at all with what our culture holds out to us as fulfilling. But the culture lies. Self-service leaves people empty. Self-sacrifice enlarges our hearts and gives real joy. \nJesus knows the struggle women face when confronted with suffering. We know that he suffered at the hands of men whose very breath he was sustaining. He did it for the joy before him -- the joy of giving life to those who were without it. What a privilege to be a mother and to experience death in ourselves to give life to another. It is worth it! \nOne final comment, Ms. Gastelum. You said that "the guarantee of reproductive rights helps bring about true equality for women." I have no desire to be considered "equal" to a man. I'm not a man. I am a woman. I have capabilities and gifts that men don't have. Childbearing is not a curse. It is a blessed gift.

Amanda N. Ewer\nBloomington, IN

IU should better encourage public transit, walking

Several thoughts occurred to me today (Oct. 19) when I read Zachary Osterman's article on the problem of overcrowded buses ("B bus overcrowding causes consternation"). Perry Maull was quoted as saying that buying additional buses is not a short-term solution. But he made no mention of the purchase of additional buses being in any long-term plans for addressing transportation problems at IU.\nIU should be promoting use of public transportation rather than building yet another very expensive parking garage, as it is in the process of doing. As a culture we need to be reducing our use of private vehicles and the oil needed to operate them.\nMy other reaction to the students who are frustrated with overcrowding and inability to board a campus bus is to consider walking. The distances that are being described on the B route are easily covered by walking in less time than they wait for a bus.\nBoth of my daughters are students at IU. Neither of them drives a car nor have an interest in learning how to. They regularly walk for great distances around Bloomington, as well as taking both city and campus buses.

Christine R. Carver\nBloomington