Thursday, Oct. 3

Musical 'Once On This Island' plays today, Friday, Saturday

Because it is set in the Caribbean, the musical "Once On This Island" was originally created for an all-black cast, but the Union Board's production of the show this weekend will feature different races in its cast.\nHowever, the race of the actors and actresses is secondary to the main theme of the play, said freshman Jonathan Lerner, who portrays protagonist Daniel Beauxhomme.\n"A lot of times when people hear of a show that was written for a certain type of race or ethnicity being performed by people who do not fit the descriptions, they immediately think that the show will not be as good or will be less meaningful and/or less powerful," Lerner said. "I will admit to have made similar assumptions before myself, but the thing about 'Once On This Island' is that it's a very, very universal story and one that is incredibly pertinent to our world today."\nThe musical follows the archetypical romantic plot: boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, get married and happiness ensues. \nTi Moune, a peasant girl, rescues, nurses and falls in love with Daniel, a French boy from a wealthy family. Daniel is forced to return to France, and when he does, the gods who rule the Island guide Ti on a journey to test her love against prejudice, hatred and death.\nLerner said the tremendous power of love is the true theme of the play.\n"(Love) can withstand even the most difficult and horrible of times," Lerner said. "As long as one has true love in their heart, things will always turn out all right in the end."\nLerner said he feels most of the emotions and experiences of the characters in the musical are common to most people, making the musical accessible to almost anyone. \nEven though the musical deals with somber ideas such as prejudice, hatred and death, Lerner said the music in the show keeps things fun and upbeat.\n"Singing and dancing to (the musical numbers) leaves us smiling and having an awesome time," he said.\nDirector Cara Berg said auditions were held in September and the cast has been working since March. The cast has practiced for three hours Monday through Thursday until the last few weeks, Berg said.\nThe show will run at 8 p.m. today, Friday and Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Avenue. Tickets are $10 for IUB students with a valid ID and children 12 and under, and $15 for adults. Tickets can be purchased at the Sunrise Box Office or at www.bloomingtonarts.info.\n"Not only does it contain phenomenal music, but it tells an incredibly beautiful story while still being an upbeat, fun, high energy show," Lerner said. "What more could you possibly want"