Thursday, Oct. 3

Orion Quartet takes residence with Jacobs School of Music for 2006-07 year

Musicians have peformed at IU for past two years

The Jacobs School of Music recently appointed the Orion String Quartet as its first quartet-in-residence for the 2006-07 season. The Orion Quartet, which has made many guest appearances at IU during the last two years, will perform concerts and lead master classes for students twice a semester. They will also work closely with chamber groups and quartets within the school.\nThe term "quartet-in-residence" only makes official what the quartet is already doing at the school, said Atar Arad, a viola professor who has acted as the liaison between the quartet and the school.\n"We invited them a few years ago to play, and it was an enormous success," Arad said. "They were so huge an inspiration that they've come back every year since. They bring chamber music to a new level."\nAlong with the residency at IU, the quartet -- which is made up of two violinists, a violist and a cellist -- is the quartet-in-residence at the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center and Mannes College of Music, both in New York City.\nThe quartet, which formed in 1987, picked its name from the Orion constellation as a metaphor for the unique personality each musician brings to the group, according to the group's Web site. The members had experience playing together at various festivals and symposiums before the quartet was actually formed, said Steven Tenenbom, violist for the group. \nTenenbom said the quartet is excited to be at IU for the opportunity to pass on to students the important things they have learned as a quartet and musicians themselves.\n"What I've found is that music is limitless in its possibilities, and I want to inspire future generations to see that same thing," Tenenbom said. \nDuring the master classes, students will get a chance to get to know the quartet and appreciate what it takes to play chamber music at a very high level, Arad said. The quartet will also conduct readings of various pieces of music with the students. This gives the students and the quartet even more of a chance to interact with each other.\nAs for the concerts, a different Jacobs School faculty member will play with the quartet at each performance. This is to foster more interaction between the quartet and the faculty, Arad said. He played with the quartet during its concert last year.\n"It was an enriching experience to play with the Orion Quartet," Arad said. "Everyone in the group has their own individual style, and when the guest members play, they too get to adopt and contribute a style. It's a wonderful opportunity." \nBoth Arad and Tenenbom said they hope the quartet-in-residency carries on after this year.\n"We're going to play it as it comes and see the reaction from the students and the faculty," Arad said. "But we hope to have a quartet-in-residence every year. We want this to be an ongoing thing."\nThe Orion Quartet will offer master classes today and Tuesday from noon to 3 p.m. in Ford-Crawford Hall. Additional performances will be Dec. 5, Feb. 25 and March 25, with master classes the day after each concert.