Saturday, Sept. 21

world

Suicide bombs kill 35 police recruits

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- A pair of suicide bombs ripped through a crowd of would-be police recruits in Baghdad Sunday, killing at least 35, and authorities found 75 bodies in the capital and Baqouba, an unusually high number even by Iraq's grim standards.\nIraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki rebuked lawmakers for putting party and sectarian loyalty ahead of Iraq's stability and said he was planning a sweeping Cabinet reshuffle.\nThe spiraling sectarian violence has put al-Maliki under intense pressure. Responding to questions from lawmakers during a more than one-hour closed session, he ordered them to stop criticizing his government and declare their loyalty to a unified Iraq -- not their religious sects or political parties, two members of parliament told The Associated Press.\nAl-Maliki's office said he used the meeting to outline plans to bring stability to the country and "called for a comprehensive Cabinet shake up suitable with the current period."\nThe prime minister issued a similar statement earlier this month, although details of a reshuffle remain sketchy. As many as a third of Cabinet posts could change hands in an apparent bid to improve the performance of some ministries as the government faces criticism that it has been ineffective, especially in curbing violence.\nIn a further sign of the sectarian strife, security forces in Baghdad found 25 bullet-riddled, handcuffed bodies dumped in several parts of the capital, Lt. Maithem Abdul Razaq of the city's Yarmouk police station said. In Baqouba, 35 miles northeast of Baghdad, 50 bodies were found dumped behind the offices of the provincial electric company, according to the Iraqi army's provincial public affairs office.\nMost such bodies are the victims of sectarian fighting and often go unidentified. Investigations are rarely carried out, and the killers usually remain unknown.