Thursday, Oct. 3

A cappella groups performing holiday shows at BCT this weekend

Ladies First, Straight No Chaser set to entertain

Melissa Block's Friday night will be filled with plenty of Christmas tunes. The IU freshman and 12 other women, known collectively as the a cappella singing group Ladies First, will sing in a holiday concert 8 p.m. Friday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.\nBlock said the show will be made up of songs from Ladies First's regular repertoire, along with Christmas music.\nStraight No Chaser, an all-male campus a cappella group, will be also singing holiday tunes along with other music, said senior Corey Frye.\nThe group will perform 8 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave.\nLadies First's concert tickets cost $8, and the group will also be releasing its first live CD at the concert. Tickets to Straight No Chaser's show cost $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Tickets are available now at the Sunrise Box Office.\nIn her first semester with Ladies First, Block said she decided to audition for a singing group after attending an a cappella workshop during high school.\n"There is something about music with no accompaniment that is just special to me," she said. "It sounds cool."\nWith three seniors -- Liz Buchanan, Brittany Grableman and Amanda Mae Magadia -- leaving Ladies First this year, Block said the concert is "kind of a dedication to them."\nOne of the songs featured, "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)," was arranged by senior director Amanda Magadia.\n"That's a new song, so that will be a highlight," Block said.\nOther songs that are not a part of the holiday set list include popular tunes from the Beatles that Block said will be easy to identify.\nBlock, a voice major, said she encourages people to come to Buskirk-Chumley and see the concert.\n"It is really fun," Block said. "... We've been working all semester on this music, so it's going to be good and get everyone in the Christmas cheer"