Thursday, Oct. 3

Grade the last dance

African American Dance Company, A-221 take final exams, keep audience entertained

Audiences resisted the urge to get up and dance at the A-221 and African American Dance Company final exam. The soulful and rhythmic vibe filled the Willkie Auditorium on Tuesday night.\nThe program opened with A-221 students performing "Lamba," which "illustrates the journey of Mansa Musa across the desert on a pilgrimage to Mecca," according to the program. \nThe second dance was choreographed by Iris Rosa, associate professor and the dance company's director. She said the song by Spanky Wilson had a 1970s feel and inspired the choreography she created for the dance company's performance in "Potpourri of Arts." \n"It made me want to dance," said Colleen Welch, a modern dance major in the audience. She said was interested in taking one of the courses in the future. \nBrynne Mitchell, also a modern dance major, agreed that it was hard to resist the urge to get up and dance. She said that she recognized a lot of modern dance in the performance. \n"I had the jiggle leg," she said. "It's hard to be a dancer and come and not dance."\nRosa said the studio concert allowed the audience to see what the courses are about. The show allowed the audience to experience different dance forms, appreciate history and see the student's ability on stage in the different collaborations.\nSophomore dancer Hilary Glen said the dance company was a positive experience, and he recommends it to everyone. \n"If you love dance, it helps you get your feet wet in a lot of different cultures," Glen said.\nHer group performed a slower collaboration called "United by Famine." Each of the four collaborations performed a variety of kinds of dance.\nFollowing the students' final projects, the Indianapolis dance group "The Dmac!" performed two pieces.\nDaniel McDowell, the dance group's instructor and Rosa's former student, said the hip-hop dance company's aim was helping its students break into the entertainment business. \n"(Rosa) taught me how to break-dance on her front porch," he laughed. \nThe show included live music from the percussion ensemble Sancocho. Vocalist Colleen Paul performed for the last dance company piece, "Trapped."\nRosa said that the choreography for "Trapped" started out as improvisation. She asked the audience to "think of what 'Trapped' means to you."\nThe final dance, which included A-221 students and dance company students, got the whole audience clapping. The Conga/Comparsa is described in the program as "a musical style with strong singable and danceable qualities." \nNow that the show is over, some of the students will perform in the spring concert at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave.\n"It's a relief now that it's over," said Hadassah Katz, who performed in "United by Famine." But she said the group will have to practice its skills over break in preparation for spring. \n"It was just amazing overall, to get the audience to feel what you were feeling," said dancer Ellyn Barham.