Thursday, Oct. 3

Union Board presents '80s films to the max

3 classics to be shown in IMU's Wittenberger

The words "Baby Ruth," "Bueller!" and "I would have expected a little more from a varsity letterman" will echo through the newly renovated Whittenberger Auditorium inside the Indiana Memorial Union for the next three nights.\nThe Indiana Memorial Union Board is presenting '80s Night, free to all IU students tonight, Friday and Saturday. The presentation begins at 7 p.m. each day with the showing of three films: "The Goonies," "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."\nThe theme was chosen by Union Board Films Director Dashiell Voorhees and a student committee. \n"I wanted to do this theme because the '80s are a lot of fun for me and my committee," Voorhees said in an e-mail interview.\nPart of the reason these films were chosen was because they are all well-known cult films, said Indiana Memorial Union Board Public Relations Director Emma Cullen. Most movies come out and go away, but some get a following, Cullen said.\n"But some are still loved by the same age group of people that loved them when they first came out," Cullen said.\n"The Goonies" is about kids in search of pirate treasure, according to a press release. "The Breakfast Club" is about five stereotypical high school students who meet in detention. The final film that will be shown each evening of '80s Night, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," is about a high-school student who decides to take a day off from school.\nCullen expects a good turnout this weekend because of dead week.\n"I know I can't study for finals 24/7," Cullen said. "I need a break."\nTurnout has increased steadily as more people find out that the Whittenberger Auditorium is newly renovated and the seats are more comfortable, Voorhees said. \n"The movies are still free and we have popcorn now," Voorhees said.\nStudents should come out with friends to watch some "comfort movies," relax and eat the cheapest concessions in town, Voorhees said.