Thursday, Oct. 3

Actress Sophia Bush discusses role in horror movie remake

Film is 'thrilling' remake of 1986's 'The Hitcher'

Sophia Bush's latest character, Grace Andrews, learns the danger of picking up strangers in a remake of the 1986 horror film "The Hitcher." \nBush, known for her role as Brooke Davis on the hit TV series "One Tree Hill" and as Beth in the 2006 film "John Tucker Must Die," recently spoke to the Indiana Daily Student in a phone conference about her upcoming role as the female lead in the film.\n"The Hitcher" follows two college students traveling cross-country in a 1970 Oldsmobile 422. Bush and co-star Zachary Knighton play a couple who end up with John Ryder, played by Sean Bean, in their car. Ryder seems like a normal man at first, but it doesn't take long for his psycho-killer identity as The Hitcher to surface. What makes the film so terrifying, Bush said, is that the situation is so realistic. \nA key component in the film is the relationship between Grace (Bush) and Jim (Knighton). In the original, the pair did not exist as a couple, but director Dave Meyers felt that making their relationship believable would make the film more believable, according to a press release. Bush and Bean spent ample time together building chemistry before shooting the film, Bush said in a press release.\n"The Hitcher" is the first feature film for director Meyers, who has directed various music videos for top artists such as Pink, Missy Elliott, Kid Rock and Jennifer Lopez. Music videos he has directed have earned seven MTV Video Music Awards. He has also directed commercials for Joe Boxer, Apple iPod and Adidas.\n"Sometimes you don't get directors who get how it works from an acting perspective," Bush said. "Dave really does."\nBush said this remake is more of a thriller than the original "Hitcher." \n"It's not a moment-for-moment remake," Bush said. "That's not what we wanted to do." \nThe difference between the two movies is largely due to advances in technology. In 1986, film crews lacked the sophistication necessary to create the fiery explosions that define the new "Hitcher" as a thriller, Bush said. She was thrilled with the opportunity to be involved in the movie's stunts.\n"I was really lucky because we had one of the best stunt crews," she said. "I'm a total stunt junkie; that's the side of me where my tomboy comes out." \nBush said her role in the movie is different from other roles she has played, and she said she tries to take on different characters to challenge her skills as an actress.\n"The Hitcher" opens in U.S. theaters Jan. 19.