Thursday, Oct. 3

First lady presents awards to top 6 public institutions

WASHINGTON -- The White House honored six cultural institutions Monday for their creativity and public service in what first lady Laura Bush described as one of her favorite events.\nBush and Anne-Imelda Radice, director of the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services, recognized innovative outreach programs at three public libraries, a museum, a zoo and an aquarium.\n"At every library and museum across our country we feel at home, thanks to the librarians and the curators who are eager to serve their communities," Bush said, later adding, "your reach is so much farther than you'll ever, ever know."\nRadice thanked the first lady for her commitment to libraries and museums and said her work is "more than symbolic, or merely ceremonial."\n"Whether it's a train conductor hauling art masterpieces across the United States, the zookeeper introducing children to a red-foot tortoise or that friendly librarian asking, 'May I help you?' the people behind each of today's winning institutions have made their organizations indispensable to the communities they serve," the first lady said.\nThe recipients of the 2006 Institute of Museum and Library Services awards are:\n-- Artrain USA, based in Ann Arbor, Mich., with traveling exhibits\n-- Frankfort Community Public Library, Frankfort, Ind.\n-- John G. Shedd Aquarium, Chicago, Ill.\n-- Lincoln Children's Zoo, Lincoln, Neb.\n-- Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, Charlotte, N.C.\n-- San Antonio Public Library, San Antonio, Texas