Thursday, Oct. 3

James Brown's death sparks emotion from campus groups

'Godfather of Soul' left impression after fall performance

On Christmas Day, people all over the world mourned the death of entertainer James Brown. \n"The Godfather of Soul" died at 73 of congestive heart failure after being hospitalized with pneumonia in Atlanta. He left behind five decades' worth of soul and funk, and his death occurred just three months after his September performance at the IU Auditorium. \nA public viewing took place at the Apollo Theatre in New York City followed by a private funeral and another public ceremony at the James Brown Arena in Augusta, Ga., led by the Rev. Al Sharpton. \nIU Soul Revue opened for Brown in September, and director Nathanael Fareed Mahluli shared his memories of that night.\n"The concert was quite informative for my students," Mahluli said in an e-mail interview. "Mr. Brown watched our entire show from the wings of the stage and commented 'Good job' as he walked away. After the show he spent precious moments taking pictures with the students. All of us were honored and amazed at his friendly warmth and willingness."\nMahluli also described how the music landscape would be today if there were no Brown.\n"Without James Brown a great portion of the rap music would have no authenticity," he said. "The years of travel and entertaining, the life experiences of Mr. Brown provided the grit and polish that many know as R&B or funk music. The autographed sound of his drummers and his easily identifiable vocalizations all color the sound and aesthetic of modern music."\nBrown not only left his fingerprints on the music culture but on American society. Charles Sykes, executive director of the African American Arts Institute, will remember Brown's contribution to the African-American culture as much as his music.\n"James Brown was in tune with the times in which he lived," Sykes said. "The concept of soul music was not just about the style of music; it was about cultural expression as well. Soul music dealt with the issues of the time with social, political or interpersonal relationships. Brown's music was an expression that represented African-American culture."\nAlthough Brown passed away, the legacy of his life and music will be heard and felt forever. \n"To add to his great musical knowledge, he was without a doubt the entertainment godfather," Mahluli said. "If we consider Michael Jackson as the greatest pop icon on earth, then we have James Brown to thank for inspiring Jackson's dance appeal. If we consider Prince to be a pop-music genius, we also have to look to James Brown for providing the template for band leading"