Thursday, Oct. 3

Van Gogh and daily life: How 'Starry Night' affects your favorite movies

In a recent random survey of about 30 students living in Forest Quad, 94 percent were familiar with Vincent van Gogh's 19th-century painting "Starry Night." It has become such an important icon for art that almost everyone has seen it on a poster, in a calendar, or in other random places.\n"I have a belt buckle that has ("Starry Night") on it," freshman Greg Winget said, asked if he knew about the painting. \nIn the same survey, all the students considered the painting a piece of art. But what 75 percent of them didn't know is that at the time of its initial publicity, van Gogh's masterpiece was considered crude, childish and unrealistic -- simply not a legitimate piece of artwork. Vincent van Gogh never sold a painting in his lifetime due to clashing with the popular style of the time, but in 1950, he was the first subject to be immortalized by the paint-by-numbers phenomenon, forever placing him as a master of art.\nSo, what changed between now and 1889 that made us realize van Gogh and other artists gave enormous contributions to the world of art? What is it that defines something as important and artistic. Who is qualified to make such standards when it all boils down to it: What the hell is art, anyway?\nAlthough it may not seem an important part of life, upon closer examination, you will find art all around you. The movies you enjoy, the posters on your wall, even the car you drive all have some sort of aesthetic purpose. Even our furniture can be considered artistic. Consider the extra-long twin beds common in every residence hall on campus. Sure, they're plain structures designed to hold bodies, but haven't you noticed the nicely grained dark wood frame?\nTo take a more concrete depiction of the "what is art?" discussion, consider current popular movements in visual art. Abstract is so hot right now, but a lot of people look at it and ask, "What is it supposed to be? It's just a bunch of scribbles and solid shapes. A 3-year-old could do that!" And truly, many 3-year-olds are capable of such talent, but why does that diminish the importance of a work? Is art just something to look at, or is there something beneath what we see upfront? Similarly, are the simplistic lyrics to some of the most popular songs on the radio (you can't deny it) less artistic in the same way that abstract art is deemed? What does it all mean?\nIf you're scratching your head right now, my work is done. I hope that by your reading this column, and more that come, you will be able to ask yourself how art plays a role in your life and how important it truly is. Please send me your thoughts to brownsr@indiana.edu and question yourself on how art truly impacts your day-to-day life.