Wednesday, Oct. 2

Annual ‘Vagina Monologues’ takes stage this weekend in honor of V-Day

IU’s V-Day campaign will culminate Thursday through Saturday with three performances of playwright Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues.” IU students will present the monologues 7 p.m. Feb. 22-24 at the Whittenberger Auditorium in the Indiana Memorial Union. Tickets are $10 or $8 with a student ID.\n“The Vagina Monologues” feature short one-woman presentations about vagina-related topics, including menstruation, rape, self-exploration, sexuality, childbirth and names, according to IU’s V-Day Web site, www.iuvday2007.com.\nWhen Ensler wrote “The Vagina Monologues” in 1998 she initiated not only a performance, but also a movement, according to www.vday.org. Every year groups across the country hold campaigns of all different forms. This year, the Women’s Student Association, the IU Men’s Coalition, the IU Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Support Service office and the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance joined forces for six different events that started Jan. 23 that included a concert and self-defense class. The proceeds of all the events, including “The Vagina Monologues,” benefit the Middle Way House Domestic Violence and Rape Crisis Center in Bloomington.\nDespite of its title, IU Men’s Coalition president Tim Gross said people of all genders are welcome – and encouraged – to attend the show.\n“Everyone should know about these types of issues,” he said. “Talking about them is important – and it’s a lot of fun.”