Wednesday, Oct. 2

Around the Arts

Union Board \npresents NOISE

WHEN: 7 p.m. Thursday\nWHERE: Indiana Memorial Union Gallery\nMORE INFORMATION: This weekly concert brings local bands to the IMU Gallery for rock shows that are free and open to the public. This week's lineup features Kentucky Nightmare, The Alarmists (Calm Down.) and Found Objects.

The Art Deco Quartet

WHEN: 9:15 to 11:30 p.m. Friday\nWHERE: Cafe Django, 116 N. Grant St.\nMORE INFORMATION: Quartet featuring Michael Eaton, Chad Kethcart, David Miller and Steve Johnson playing jazz by Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarrett, Sonny Rollins, Duke Ellington, Steve Lacy, Sun Ra, Charles Mingus and David Miller. $3 cover.

'Impact' at The Cinemat

WHEN: 8 and 10:30 p.m. Friday\nWHERE: The Cinemat, 123 S. Walnut St.\nMORE INFORMATION: A film noir from the 1940s about a husband who survives an attempt on his life by his wife and her lover. He flees the state and plots revenge. $4.

Jazz Fables Concert Series presents Wide Open jazz quintet

WHEN: 5:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday\nWHERE: Bear's Place back room, 1316 E. Third St.\nMORE INFORMATION: This excellent Bloomington modern jazz combo will be debuting two new sets of original modern jazz compositions by Pat Harbison, Dennis Riggins, Julian Bransby, John Scott and more. $6.

Union Board Presents 'Babel'

WHEN: 8 and 11 p.m. Thursday through Saturday\nWHERE: Whittenberger Auditorium, Indiana Memorial Union\nMORE INFORMATION: This is a complex tale of four interlocking stories starring Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett and Gael García Bernal. "Babel" has been nominated for seven Academy Awards. Free for IU students; $2 for nonstudents.

Ethnomusicology presentation

WHEN: 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday\nWHERE: Faculty Room of the University Club in the Indiana Memorial Union\nMORE INFORMATION: As part of the Middle Eastern Arts Festival, Irene Markoff will give a talk on Sufi music and ritual in Turkey. The presentation will include a discussion on poetry, rituals, music and the concepts of sama and zikr. Performance (baglama and voice) will be integrated into the presentation. Free.