Wednesday, Oct. 2

BCT to host 2nd Cinephile indie film festival

The second annual Cinephile Festival of Independent Film & Video will be held at 3 p.m., Feb. 17 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.\nThe festival consists of mostly short film features by several local filmmakers, many of whom received grants from Cinephile Film Arts to help with production costs. \n"You can enjoy 12 high-quality movies during four and a half hours for only $5," said David Pruett, executive director of Cinephile Film Arts. \nThe genres and categories include comedy, experimental, horror, video art and narrative. \n"One of the interesting aspects of films in this festival is that they will show high quality you can achieve with very little money," said Pruett. \nAt the beginning of the festival, the audience can talk with Gary Wood of Indianapolis-based WoodWorks Films. Wood has written and directed two feature-length movies since 2003, including the award-winning "Saving Star Wars."\n"The reason we invited him as special speaker is that he made feature-length movies, did marketing and found finance by himself here in Indiana, not in California or Hollywood," Pruett said. Indiana is not well-known for its film industry, so Wood's experiences will be interesting to hear, Pruett said.\nThere are two screening series with two intermissions. There will be door prizes for the audience members and special guests Ben and Nick Moore of the comedy troupe "Anything After 10" will provide entertainment. The audience will have the opportunity to vote for its favorite movie and the winners will receive prizes.\nLast year, the filmmakers didn't have as much time to prepare their films, which affected the quality, said Pruett. This year Pruett guarantees higher quality.\n"The way to appreciate indie movies is to keep an open mind," Pruett said. "The audience comes in expecting what they usually see on the screen. Indie movies do not follow the Hollywood formula. It would be a unique experience for them."\nDoors will open at 2:30 p.m., Feb. 17. All tickets are $5, with proceeds going toward the 2007-08 Cinephile Film Grant Project. Tickets may be purchased at the Sunrise Box Office at 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. or online at www.bloomingtonarts.info. For more information please visit the Cinephile Web site at www.cinephilefilmarts.org or www.cinephilefilmfest.org.