Wednesday, Oct. 2

'Campus Super Star' search begins

Final round to be held on March 25 in Indianapolis

Timmus O'Niones

“American Idol” has swept the nation for six seasons and has inspired people in numerous ways. One such inspiration occurred Sunday, Feb. 18, in Ballantine Hall at the “Campus Super Star” auditions. Between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. students attended open auditions hosted by the IU Helene G. Simon Hillel Center. Each contestant had up to 45 seconds to prove to the judges that he or she has what it takes to advance to the next round. Sunday’s audition was one of two preliminary rounds. The first was Feb. 12 at Emmis Communications Lobby in Monument Circle in Indianapolis. \nTslil Shtulsaft, a Senior Jewish Campus Service Core Fellow at the Indianapolis Hillel Center, has been involved with “Campus Super Star” for the last two years. He explained that up to 30 contestants will advance to the semi-finals on March 7 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater and 10 contestants will compete in the final round March 25 at the Madame Walker Theatre Center in Indianapolis. Shtulsaft estimated 400 to 500 people will attend the final competition, which is a free show.\nAt the final round each contestant will sing for 1 1/2 minutes and the judges will narrow the 10 contestants to five. The audience votes on the winner from the remaining five singers. Although the judges do comment on the performance of each singer, Shtulsaft explained that the judges don’t say anything too negative, as it is most important that it is a positive experience for the contestants. There are three judges, Simon Crookall, president and CEO of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Steven Stolen, managing director of the Indiana Repertory Theatre, and Jill O’Malia, an actress and vocalist. \nSophomore Ross Bennett is involved in the marketing for “Campus Super Star.” This year Bennett was able to get Baked, a local cookie store, to help sponsor the event. The sponsors are important contributors to the prizes. The winner of the competition receives $5,000, but there are different prizes for each round. Bennett explained that he got involved in “Campus Super Star” because he was very active musically in high school, and the marketing aspect of the competition allows him to connect different types of students together. \nNot only does the winner receive $5,000, but the competition presents numerous other opportunities. The winner of the 2005 competition, alumna Stephani Parker, recorded a song with Kanye West after winning the competition. Parker also used her prize money to finish an album, purchase costumes for her band and pay off a portion of her school loans.\nJunior Adam Rennick sang “If You Believe” from the musical “The Wiz” at Sunday afternoon’s audition. Rennick said he was “not really nervous” and was “relieved that the judges did not look like they were in pain.” Rennick took up singing because of his musically inclined family. Rennick chose to audition for “Campus Super Star” as opposed to the real “American Idol” because it is much more accessible and realistic for college students.\nAlthough “Campus Super Star” was modeled after “American Idol,” the smaller scale allows students to stay in school during the process. The overall process is much quicker and the students found out who advanced to the semi-finals on Sunday evening.\nShtulsaft said the event has been a great experience for the volunteers.\n“(Since) not all of the volunteers and very few of the contestants are Jewish, it has been a good way to get out in the community and connect with students,” Shtulsaft said.