Wednesday, Oct. 2

Singer brings her love of opera from China to the U.S.

IU soprano Jing Zhang got her big break by singing in a public restroom.\nZhang, 21 years old at the time, was in a restroom warming her voice up for a Metropolitan Opera master class at the Shanghai Conservatory of Music after realizing the practice rooms were closed.\n"When I came out, I opened the door and there were two American ladies standing there by the door," Zhang said. The two women turned out to be Joan Dornemann, Metropolitan Opera assistant conductor, and Deborah Birnbaum, an internationally known voice and breath technique teacher.\nDornemann asked Zhang to sing for her then immediately admitted Zhang into her International Vocal Arts Institute program. In 2001, Zhang made her opera debut in Shanghai. Soon after, she decided to come to the U.S. to study.\nZhang, who is working toward her Master of Music degree in opera performance, has experienced continued success since coming to the U.S. She made her U.S. opera debut with the IU Opera Theater in 2004 as Mimi in La Bohème, and she won the Metropolitan Opera National Council District auditions in 2005. In 2006, she played Micaela in IU's production of Carmen. She is also the recipient of the 2006-07 Bain Scholarship. \nAdjusting to life in the U.S. has not been completely easy for Zhang, who has had to adapt to changes in her musical and living environments. Zhang said she is grateful to IU's International Services for easing the transition. \n"It was hard at the beginning," Zhang said. "But International Services had all the programs or coffee hour or they tried to set you up with friends."\nBetsy Uschkrat, Miss Indiana 2006 and a fellow IU voice student, said Zhang's perseverance and hard work has helped her. \n"Being an international student has caused some struggles for her, but I am so proud of how she perseveres through them and still offers her best to all she works with," Uschkrat said in an e-mail. "IU is so lucky to have her and her beautiful voice."\nOrganizers of the Kennedy Center's Conservatory Project decided to feature Zhang's voice as well, giving her one of IU's eight slots to perform at the semi-annual event in 2006, which showcases top talent from the nation's leading collegiate music programs. Zhang learned about her selection in December 2005. \n"I thought that's the best Christmas gift to me," Zhang said. "I really enjoyed it."\nZhang studies under Costanza Cuccaro-Penhorwood, chancellor's professor of voice at IU, and is coached by Gary Arvin, associate professor of music at IU. Cuccaro, an accomplished opera performer, said Zhang's work ethic and sense of humor are qualities she also possessed at Zhang's age.\n"The study habits are similar. She is very studious and very responsible," said Cuccaro. She also said the two share an ability to stay ahead of the game. "You don't play catch up if you want to be successful."\nZhang has not limited her talents to opera performance, recently appearing in a television program broadcast nationally throughout China. The project, run by the U.S. departments of state, education and commerce, aims to attract top Chinese students to American universities. \n"I've been told by my Chinese friends in China that they really like it," Zhang said. "They're really interested in applying (to) IU. … They've asked me how to get application forms."\nAfter Zhang completes her degree, she said she wants to get a job as an opera singer, but would also love teaching. She also hopes to be a musical bridge between the U.S. and China.\n"I want to bring more of what I learned in this country back to China," Zhang said. "I want to help all the Chinese kids to catch up on all the things (they) don't learn."\nIn the meantime, Zhang remains busy performing. She will play the title role in IU's production of Madame Butterfly in April and will again cover the role of Micaela in Carmen this summer with the Des Moines Metro Opera program.