Wednesday, Oct. 2

The Complete Moron's Guide to: Filmmaking

Several venues on and around campus have been offering film festivals recently. We at the arts desk thought you could use some enlightenment on the more interesting terminology used in filmmaking. Because there are so many words that have been adopted into the language of directors and their stars, this will be a two-part series. Check back next Friday for more fun definitions.

Allen Smithee film: A pseudonym used by directors who feel that their artistic visions have been compromised. The use of this name indicates a director's dissociation from the film.

Anthropomorphism: When human characteristics are given to creatures or objects in an animated movie. For instance, many animals have eyebrows in cartoon features to emphasize their expressions.\nCamp: A parody where overused, cliche situations are exaggerated to produce humor. Think of the "Scary Movie" series.

Chopsocky: Slang for a martial arts film.

Dunning: The technique that combines shots filmed in a studio with background footage shot elsewhere.

Foley artist: The person who adds sound effects such as slamming doors and thunder into the film in postproduction.

Fourth wall: Refers to the imaginary screen between the actor and the viewer. It is broken when the character speaks directly to the audience, which is known as an aside. This is seen in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

Grindhouse film: Another name for a porno with a more intricate plot.