Wednesday, Oct. 2

The reality of reality television

We’re another two episodes into the eighth cycle of “America’s Next Top Model” and the competition is intensifying. Felicia, better known as “baby Tyra,” and Diana, one of the two plus-sized models, have been eliminated. I interviewed both and they told me the misconceptions the judges construed and where they are now.

Felicia – eliminated March 21\n“Everyone in the house loved me,” Felicia told me without even a touch of modesty. If the aired scenes were any indication, however, she was right. Whitney and Dionne acknowledged that she was like their little sister and the other girls affectionately dubbed her “baby Tyra” because of her striking physical similarity to the hostess. How then, did this lovable, talented (she had one of the best photos in the March 7 shoot) contestant get eliminated so early?\nMy theory is that the judges had high-expectations because of her likeness to Tyra, and her one “dead” photo was one too many. Nigel Barker insisted she relied too much on the similarities. Felicia denied his accusations. She explained that being called “baby Tyra” became tiring and that she was really just looking for her own identity as a model.\nIt seems the judges also misrepresented her as a dancer. She said that her boyfriend is a choreographer and explained that she often dances to relieve stress, but she maintains that she is far from being a professional.\nIs it possible that the judges ruined Felicia’s chances by making assumptions and not paying close enough attention to her application? Either way, Felicia has not been discouraged. Though she had only participated in one runway show before ANTM, she is working on her portfolio and she said, “I just really want something positive to happen.”

Diana – eliminated March 28\nFor a girl who traveled to New York City and auditioned for ANTM on a whim and told Jay Manuel that she wanted to be a model, “just ’cause,” Diana seems to take her potential modeling career seriously. She told me that she wants to travel and be a role model for young girls. So why did she give such a half-hearted response to Jay’s question?\n“That wasn’t the only thing I said. I was on the verge of tears and it was the first thing out of my mouth.”\nShe explained that she had been frustrated because Jay would not clearly explain what he wanted her to do.\nDiana also commented on the fact that her plus-size was constantly emphasized at the shoots and by the judges. She explained that she would be asked to pose her body in a way that would look completely different if done by one of the thinner models, such as Jaslene or Natasha. \n“It did start to get difficult,” she said.\nI believe Diana might have been eliminated for this reason. She was unable to adjust and work comfortably with her curves like her fellow plus-size model, Whitney.\nI think we should watch out for Whitney in future episodes. I hope she doesn’t lose confidence with her supportive friend gone because she has immense potential.

Predictions\nMy two current favorites are Brittany for her flawless shots and Jael for her “roll-with-the-punches” attitude. Felicia predicts either Dionne or Jael to win. Diana’s picks are Renee and Dionne. Tune into the CW at 8 p.m. Wednesday for the next episode.