Wednesday, Oct. 2

ACC to demonstrate hula dance

The Asian Culture Center will inspire aloha spirit and teach hula moves this Friday from 5 to 6:30 p.m. as part of ACC’s Asian Cultures Around Campus program.\nThe hula lesson will feature Carol Reynolds and guest Ed Hiram, both native Hawaiians, demonstrating Hawaii’s native dance.\nHula is best known today as a dance usually performed at luaus and celebrations. But the hula was originally performed as a religious ceremony to honor and worship Hawaiian gods such as Pele, the goddess of volcanoes.\n“Hula is the folkdance of the Hawaiian people,” Reynolds said.\nEach dance is supposed to interpret the words and meanings of the “mele,” the tune or the chant that accompanies the hula dance. Every movement of the dancer’s hands and body have different significant meanings.\n“In dancing, the dancer must have the feeling for the words,” Reynolds said. \nBecause not many people understand the language of the meles anymore, Reynolds said, it is important the dancer use careful movements and gestures to tell the mele’s story to the audience.\nReynolds, who started taking hula lessons when she was 8, said she has been doing hula performances all around campus. Not only has she performed for the IU Kiwanis Club, but she has also been asked to speak at a folklore class this week. In addition, she gives lessons over the summer and performs at various parties and social gatherings. Her dreams for after retirement include becoming a teacher – a “kumu” – and starting a hula school, or “halau,” that would teach the dance to kids and adults. \n“(The hula) is like the thread in which Hawaiian and non-Hawaiians connect to find that special place in everyone’s heart that’s true and pure,” Reynolds said.\nThe hula demonstration is only one part of the Asian Cultures Around Campus program. Babita Upadhyay, the program and administrative assistant for the ACC, said the center has organized more than 100 programs this year so far. \nIn honor of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, there are many events still lined up, such as the Mr. and Miss Asia pageant, to be held at 6 p.m. Sunday at the IU Auditorium, Upadhyay said.\n“Our goal is for people to be aware of other cultures,” Upadhyay said. “This is a Midwestern town – not many people know about Asian cultures.”