Wednesday, Oct. 2

International center offers free concerts, lunch on Fridays

Graduate student Hye-Won Jo performs for audience members, March 30 at the International Center. The concert was a part of the International Center’s Friday Noon Concert Series.

In order to allow international students to show off their various musical talents, the Leo R. Dowling International Center holds a free concert followed by a light luncheon at noon every Friday.\nEach concert, located in the lounge of the international center, generally only has one performance consisting of a solo, duet or trio.\n“The whole lounge is transformed into this nice and relaxed venue where people can enjoy this beautiful music and take a little break,” said Sandy Britton, international services director for the center.\nAbout eight years ago, the international center began inviting and encouraging the international students enrolled and classically trained in the School of Music to perform.\n“We were partly trying to find ways of using the center more,” said Lynn Schoch, senior associate director of international services. “We had the resources and there were some very good international students willing to perform.”\nAround the time the program began, the audience consisted of about 10 people, but that number has recently expanded to 30 or more, Schoch said.\n“We hope to generate more people because the idea is to have this time where the students and faculty can take a little break in the day and enjoy music. We do have several (people) that come, but not the number we would like. The public is invited,” Britton said.\nBritton said the center aims to create a nice, relaxed atmosphere where students can perform their music for about 30 minutes, and then have a complementary lunch where everyone can meet new people and discuss the show. The noon concerts have grown very popular to the music students. Every year, the international center sends out an e-mail to the students, informing them about the program and also encouraging them to sign up as early as possible, because the slots for the shows fill up fast, she said.\nWhile the performers are not paid, the concerts give the students the opportunity to practice their skills in front of a real audience, and they sometimes help the students with their studies or class projects. Generally students return to give another performance at least once a year, and in a few cases, once a semester, Britton said. \nThe program is also listed on the international center’s Web site at www.indiana.edu/~intlserv/Content/International_Center/Welcome/.