Friday, Sept. 20

No. 8 Wildcats prowl into series with IU

The IU softball team has the opportunity to stamp a special imprint on the season Sunday when it hosts the No. 8 Northwestern Wildcats (28-7). \nThe Wildcats visit IU having won four of their last five games, including a victory against No. 9 Michigan.\n“It’s always exciting to step up from behind,” junior Jennilee Huddleston said. “You’ve got nothing to lose, so you lay it all out on the field. So it’s always a big deal to upset those teams and knock them out of where they’re going.”\nNorthwestern enters the contest with a potent lineup. \nThey have two USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year finalists in senior Garland Cooper and sophomore Tammy Williams. \nThe Cats also have a solid pitching staff, anchored by freshman Lauren Delaney and senior Eileen Canney. \nDelaney has yet to be defeated this year and stands at 14-0. The Hoosiers understand what they are up against, but they also know that anything can happen.\n“No team in the country’s untouchable,” IU coach Stacey Phillips said. “It’s one of those things where you play, obviously, the games, because anybody on any given day has an opportunity to win. They’ve got what most would consider the complete package.”\nThe Hoosiers have been shutout in four of their last six games due in large part to not producing with runners in scoring position. \n“Hitting is mental,” Phillips said. “We got enough talent to be able to do it. It’s more of who’s gonna go up there with the confidence that they’re going to get the job done. I think that’s where we’ve lacked in the confidence area, and once we get that, I think we’re going to be able to kinda make some noise.”\nPhillips said a big hit with runners in scoring position can change the entire complexion of a ball game. For the Hoosiers, Phillips said, it’s not a matter of getting on base. It’s simply a question of who’s going to step up and make a play.\nWith the Wildcats possessing two players on an offensive tear, pitching is going to be an important part of the formula if the Hoosiers are to win. The pitching staff’s confidence is on the rise after junior Monica Wright allowed five hits and a walk and struck out five in a difficult 1-0 loss to Louisville.\n“Knowing that they’re such a good offensive hitting team, I have to obviously be very focused,” senior Christy Wahl said. “Make sure my pitches are working, and with them being such a good hitting team, work the pitches off the plate a little bit and make them try to hit too our strengths and not pitch to their strengths.”\nFor the Hoosiers, they’re not thinking upset. For them, it’s just another important game in their chase for a Big Ten title.\n“Northwestern’s another game,” Phillips said. “It’s another Big Ten game. It’s a very important game just like all of them are.”