Wednesday, Oct. 2

Ragazzi offers arts, food in intimate atmosphere

Some people say the art on a person’s wall tells a lot about the character of that person. If this is true, then restaurant owner Tamyra d’Ippolito is eclectic, creative and unique.\nWhen d’Ippolito came to Bloomington from New York, she and her husband opened the quaint Italian restaurant Ragazzi Arte Cafe, 212 S. Rogers St., in November 2005.\nFor d’Ippolito, Ragazzi has become not only a place to serve her favorite foods, including an iced lemon and chocolate cake, but a place to display and sell her favorite art. Nearly every inch of the restaurant’s walls are covered with the works of local artists, students and d’Ippolito’s friends.\n“I chose my art based on what appeals to me,” d’Ippolito said. “I like colorful and original. I’m always looking for new artists.”\nWith several other Italian restaurants in Bloomington, d’Ippolito knew she had to get creative. Ragazzi grinds its own coffee daily and has a full selection of mochas and espressos. The restaurant also serves a beverage d’Ippolito created herself – a combination of pomegranate and sparkling wine. It is the unique ingredients and romantic atmosphere, d’Ippolito said, that makes Ragazzi stand out.\n“We’re the only one that I know of that does candlelight dinners,” d’Ippolito said. “Our restaurant is very hands-on, homemade, hot-to-the-plate-type food.”\nD’Ippolito’s cooking has become so well-known that she is now working on a cookbook. She also offers cooking classes every Saturday in the dining room for $13.95 a person.\n“Someone comes in and says, ‘I want to learn to do a dessert’ or ‘I want to learn to do an entrée.’ And we teach you,” d’Ippolito said.\nSophomore Johnathan Thomas plans on attending a cooking class with his girlfriend and learning how to make Rigatoni Alla Norcina, or “The Men’s Favorite Dish” – pasta with Italian sausage and mushrooms in a cream sauce. Thomas enjoys the atmosphere at Raggazi, saying that the wine, music, personal service and candlelit setting make for a perfect date restaurant.\n“I took my girlfriend there when we were dating, and she loved it,” Thomas said. “We’re still together, so that tells me something.”\nBesides cooking classes, other events include English afternoon tea served with scones and cucumber sandwiches on Sundays; family nights on Sunday evenings, when the entire family gets bread, pasta and a beverage for $25; and “Revolution Cafe” on the third Sunday of every month, when locals speak about politics and their ideas for change. D’Ippolito also plays the role of matchmaker in her monthly singles meetings called “Creating Connections.” On the first Wednesday of every month, singles are invited to Ragazzi for drinks and appetizers.\n“What we are doing here is a little bit of everything,” d’Ippolito said. “We’re doing food, decorating, art, politics and more.”\nBut ever since graduating with a degree in art and photography, d’Ippolito’s main passions are food and art. In April, d’Ippolito and employee Andria Eckert will be introducing a new workshop that focuses of fashion, decorating and organizing called “R Design.” The first meeting April 14, “Spring into the New Season,” will cost $10. \n“It’s about getting out of the winter drab,” Eckert said. “Basically, I’m going to offer ideas about things to do around the house for spring cleaning and decorating in cheap ways. This will help people who have a decorating vision but don’t know how to make it real.”\nFor those less interested in art and food and more into good music, Ragazzi hosts “Club R” every other Saturday night from 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Students are welcome to enjoy Italian meals at lower prices.\n“A lot of students use it as a jam session, as far as musicians,” d’Ippolito said. “Violinists, folk guitarists and flutists come in and each play one after the other.”\nLive music can be heard during regular business hours as well. Sophomore Natasha Komoda sang at Ragazzi every Friday night last semester. An art major, Komoda hooked up with d’Ippolito to get more musical and photography experience. Although she no longer sings at the restaurant, several of her black-and-white images are on display at the cafe.\n“Tamyra is great to work with. She is really open about music and art,” Komoda said. “I wasn’t use to singing jazz because my training was in classical music. But with my classical training I was able to improvise and just have fun with the music.”\nWith jazz night every Friday, along with Southern Italian accordion music and the occasional appearance of an opera singer, customers can enjoy a romantic candlelit dinner and soothing Italian musical sounds in the background. It’s no wonder, d’Ippolito said, that Feb. 14 is her busiest day.\nChristina Kephart, owner of the Corner Store, 729 S. Walnut St., enjoys the intimate setting. \n“It’s great because it’s a small place so you are able to talk to each other, unlike those big crowded restaurants where you can hardly hear the person across the table,” Kephart said. “The staff welcomed us, catered to our needs and made sure we had a great experience.”\nLocated at 212 S. Rogers St., Ragazzi is open daily from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. For more information, call Ragazzi at 812-323-9005.