Wednesday, Oct. 2

Student poet writes ‘lux et veritas’

Hankins’ work speaks out against corporate America

The new Starbucks in the Indiana Memorial Union has brought more students to a part of the building that has usually been quiet. Graduate student Luke Hankins was sitting in that part of the building when he was inspired to write a poem he named after the university motto, “Lux Et Veritas”.\n“The contrast between that space and the international coffee chain was the impulse behind the poem,” Hankins said in an e-mail. \nThe fireplace in that part of the building is one of the objects that retains a sense of history, Hankins said. The fireplace made Hankins really consider the university motto.\n“I can’t say that Starbucks has inspired the same kind of reflection, except by way of contrast,” Hankins said.\nHankins is working toward his MFA in creative writing, specializing in poetry. In addition to his studies at IU, Hankins is also an associate editor of Asheville Poetry Review, which is a literary journal distributed in the U.S. and parts of Europe. Asheville Poetry Review is based in Hankins’ home state of North Carolina. \nHankins said in a phone interview that he became serious about his writing in high school because of an inspirational English teacher.\n“She was a very small and quiet person, but when she looked at you it felt like she was reading your thoughts,” Hankins said “When she talked to me about writing, her passion for it really impressed me.”\nHankins attended Lee University in Tennessee after high school. He was a sophomore when he first heard about graduate creative writing programs.\n“As soon as I heard that there was such a thing, I knew that’s what I wanted to do,” Hankins said.\nHankins began looking into creative writing programs during his junior year and applied to several. He said IU was his first choice and being admitted to the program was one of his proudest accomplishments.\n“I admire the work of the faculty members here,” Hankins said. “And the teaching opportunities here are much better.”\nHankins plans to work in the publishing industry doing editorial work after he graduates. He wants to work for in independent publishing house and “avoid New York City at all costs.”\n“First of all I’m not attracted to the big city,” Hankins said. “I need to be a bit closer to nature.”\nHankins doesn’t want to work for a big publishing company because he said they are driven by money rather than a real desire to print the best poetry they can find.\n“They don’t care as much for the art as they do for capital gain,” Hankins said. “That’s not true of all, it’s a generalization, but it’s kind of the impression I get.”\nThe reasoning behind Hankins’ personal aspirations is also exhibited in his advice to undergraduates searching for their careers.\n“Think less about what will make you money and more about what will give you real fulfillment,” Hankins said. “All the money in the world cannot make up for an unsatisfying life doing something you don’t want to do.”