Wednesday, Oct. 2

This Weekend in IU Jacobs School of Music

With everyone hurtling full speed toward May 5, there is no shortage of diversions as individuals and groups across campus try to fit their end-of-semester efforts into a diminishing amount of space and time. The Jacobs School of Music is no exception, and for those not cyclically inclined, the coming weekend offers a wide and bountiful range of musical events to enjoy. All events are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted:

-8 p.m.\n-Spring Festival of Woodwinds -Brass and Percussion\n-Musical Arts Center

Featuring the music school’s wind ensemble, which recently performed the opening concert of the College Band Directors National Association in Ann Arbor, Mich., this year’s festival will celebrate the life and work of Australian-born composer Percy Grainger. Also performing will be the symphonic and concert bands. The concert will be conducted by faculty members Stephen Pratt, Scott Weiss and Paul Popiel.\nFriday, April 20

-8 p.m.\n-New music ensemble\n-Auer Hall

Following up their East Coast tour just last month, the New Music Ensemble, which concentrates its attention on works composed only in the past two or three decades, will give its final concert of the year. Joining the ensemble and its director, David Dzubay, will be trumpet professor John Rommel and guest composer Olly Wilson.

-2 p.m.\n-Computer music and video recital\n-Sweeney Hall

The Center for Electronic and Computer Music will present a program of electronic student compositions, which use everything from baroque oboes to digital gloves.

\n-4 p.m.\n-International vocal ensemble\n-Auer Hall

Mary Goetze, in her final performance as an IU professor, will lead the ensemble she created in a program of music from Brazil, India, South Africa, India, Ireland, France and the Philippines. She will be joined by friends and colleagues from around the world as well as IU’s African American Choral Ensemble.

-8 p.m.\n-Big-band extravaganza\n-Musical Arts Center

The highlight of the jazz season, professors David N. Baker and Pat Harbison join forces to present the songbook of the late, great Ella Fitzgerald. Joining the performing jazz ensembles will be guest vocalist Delores King Williams, who has performed with Baker’s Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra for nearly 20 years. Tickets are $10 to $15 for general admission and $8 to $12 for students.

\n-8 p.m.\n-University Orchestra\n-Musical Arts Center

Finally, IU’s student conductors will take the podium to lead the University Orchestra in works by Beethoven, Merritt, Honegger and Schubert. Conducting will be Charles Latshaw, Andres Moran, Thomas Heuser, Ben Bolter and Lawrence Galera.