Monday, Sept. 16

Rush - Snakes and Arrows A-

'Snakes' has some bite

Braves Spring Baseball

It would be easy to listen to the new Rush album, Snakes and Arrows, and think: 'the 1980s called, they want their album back.' But from the opening track it is clear that there is something fresh about this album. This album is a return to the monster progressive sound that Rush hit the scene with, but also serves to show how far they have come as a band. With the assistance of Grammy-winning producer Nick Raskulinecz, known for his work with the Foo Fighters, Rush has delivered again on its 18th full-length studio album.\nAs the proverbial needle drops on the first track, "Far Cry," the listener is greeted with a juxtaposition of acoustic and electric guitars and a few bars later, a thumping bass line that is sure to get your head bopping. Vocalist Geddy Lee sounds as good as ever as his voice soars over the vast soundscape of all that is Rush. One highlight off Snakes and Arrows is the epic-sounding instrumental, "The Main Monkey Business." Drummer Neil Peart drives this track that any progressive rock fan will love. Another highlight is "The Way the Wind Blows," a track that is opened up by a blues riff that works its way in and out of the tune as it plays. \nThis disc will surely quench any fan's thirst for more Rush but may also bring in some new fans. The band covers the grid in terms of genres, moving seamlessly from progressive beasts to ballads. For a band that has seen fame since the mid- to late-'70s, it is truly a feat to create a new album that stays true to their sound while also sounding new, relevant and exciting. The more listeners spin this album, the more they will appreciate the utter complexity that this band brings to the table. Snakes and Arrows is a must-listen for any fan of this band or progressive rock itself. Guitarist Alex Lifeson thrills throughout, and at the album's end the listener is left wanting more.