Wednesday, Oct. 2

Singing Hoosiers graduates look back on past 4 years

Singing Hoosiers

On Sunday, 70 members of the Singing Hoosiers will head east for a big, fat Greek trip. While many of its members look forward to the excitement that comes with an overseas excursion, for a few members it marks a final, bittersweet farewell to the group. \nThis spring, the Singing Hoosiers will lose 15 senior members. For many members of the group, the shows they do in Greece will be their final performances as IU Singing Hoosiers.\nThe trip will last ten days, and the singers will perform in Athens, Trikala and Volos, Singing Hoosiers director Michael Schwarzkopf said.\nSenior Matt Christensen said that, between their final spring concert, banquet and the Greece trip, it feels as if the semester has had five different ends.\n“(The events) have been really fun, but at the same time it’s been very bittersweet,” he said.\nMany of the graduating seniors have been involved with the Singing Hoosiers since their freshman year and say the group has been something constant during their time here at IU.\nChristensen said that joining the Singing Hoosiers was one of the deciding factors for him when choosing to come to IU. Fellow senior Audra Van Treuren said joining helped her with a rocky transition from her home state of Connecticut to Indiana. \n“Singing Hoosiers is like a big welcoming committee,” Van Treuren said. “They were really the main reason I decided not to transfer.”\nMany senior Singing Hoosiers are sad to be leaving friends behind but are hopeful that they will remain in contact with them after college. With their own alumni association and yearly newsletters, it is an easy thing to do, Schwarzkopf said.\nVan Treuren said she plans to come back for the Singing Hoosiers’ annual concerts. \n“I know that so many of the people I’ve met here will remain lifelong friends,” she said. “I had senior friends when I was a freshman and I still talk to them almost everyday.”\nSenior Kristin Cutler said meeting those friends for the hour of practice every day was a release from the stress of classes and schoolwork. \nCutler is looking forward to spending two weeks with the group on their upcoming trip and said previous Singing Hoosier trips were some of her most memorable experiences.\n“It’s really fun just hanging out with your friends on a bus for a few days,” she said. \nIn more practical terms, Cutler, a broadcast journalism major, also hopes that the connections she made during her years with the 100-plus member organization will provide her with networking opportunities down the road. \n“I’m sure at some point knowing who I know will be helpful,” she said. \nWhether they are music majors or not, many seniors said being a part of the Singing Hoosiers has been a beneficial experience in terms of their future plans and helped them develop skills necessary for the “real world.”\nSenior and Singing Hoosiers Student Manager Jon Davidson said his job was essentially like being the president of the organization, and he developed leadership skills through his experience. He also said learning to balance his time was absolutely necessary. \n“You definitely learn to balance and manage your time well with this group because it is a very big time commitment.” he said. \nSchwarzkopf said the choir’s members go on to succeed in all walks of life, but those interested in going into performing have a great training ground in the Singing Hoosiers. \nMany alumni go on to perform on national tours, cruise ships, and in the last ten years, four members have performed on Broadway, Schwarzkopf said. \nDavidson plans to move to Los Angeles in August to pursue an acting career, and Van Treuren was recently hired by Walt Disney World in Florida.\nMany seniors say they look forward to the next installment of their lives, but that there is always fear of the unknown. \n“I’m excited to move on, but it’s hard to leave four years of memories,” Christensen said. \nThe parting seniors all stressed the importance of enjoying time at IU and advised students to revel in the friendships made there. Schwarzkopf said the leadership among the class of 2007 was incredible and credits his seniors for keeping everything ordered while he was away on sabbatical during the first semester of this year. \n“The class of 2007,” he said, “has just produced some marvelous and talented individuals.”