Wednesday, Oct. 2

SoFA seniors to present their art at BA show tonight

Art opening today in SoFA gallery at 7p.m.

After a combined total of more than 400 hours spent in the studios, 20 Bachelor of Fine Arts students will showcase their work at the Senior BA show from 7 to 9 p.m. today in the School of Fine Arts Gallery. The pieces are varied and come from every artistic field. The gallery is filled with abstract ceramics, various canvases filled with vibrant paintings and digital media exhibits.\nSenior Nicholas Just’s mixed media piece is titled “Game, Set, Match.” It features a platypus and a rabbit engaged in a game of tennis on a gigantic green platform. “I draw cartoons, and I like playing ping pong, and I thought it’d be funny to see them meshed together,” Just said in an e-mail.\nHe explained that he spent 25 to 30 hours in the studio because he had some failures in his casting process. \nSenior Molly Stevenson has a series of 10 of her photos hung in small red frames on the SoFA Gallery wall. Her work is titled “Dream Sequence.” Each photo is blurry and has a trancelike quality. “It feels great to have my piece up in the SoFA gallery. ...It is a great opportunity for me to see what my peers are doing and vice versa,” Stevenson said in an e-mail.\nThe gallery’s assistant director Rob Off said the students had to complete an application process before their work went on display. But he added that everyone who applied and showed a general interest in the show was allowed to participate.\nStevenson said that the SoFA helped her through several career development courses. She plans to pursue a master’s degree in art education and find work in an inner city school before going into museum work. Just will not pursue a career in art; instead he will move to Portland, Ore. to become a firefighter. \n“I love painting, but none of this will help me save lives,” Just said. “I will always make art. ... It’s the only thing I love.”\nThe show will remain open until May 5 at 4 p.m. For more information on this SoFA Gallery exhibit and others, visit http://www.indiana.edu/~sofa/2005.