Friday, Oct. 18

Former student media staffers remember beloved leader

December 1998 Senior Recognition Day - Publisher Dave Adams addresses staff

One year at a College Media Advisers conference we all started referring to Dave as “Dadams.” The moniker was pretty easy; it’s his IU e-mail address. Regardless, Dave loved it – he had 15 kids running around calling him “Dad.” In truth, that’s what he was to us. Not only was he our publisher and guide while putting out a newspaper and yearbook, but (also) a surrogate parent.\nKatie Schoenbaechler, \nfall 2004 managing editor

Dave was indeed a role model for me, a role model for being “out” as a way to further my own journey of self-discovery, but just as much a role model in terms of sending an important message: gay equality. Dave set forth a courageous example of someone who had spent too long trapped in a closet and realized it was time to come to terms with being gay.\nBrandon Morely, \nIDS staffer from 2002-2006

What the IDS’s writers and editors are doing on the pages of today’s newspaper is what Dave would’ve wanted most: to report the story that matters to students accurately and to arrive at the truth, whatever that may be. Unfortunately today’s truth is that Dave has left us, but if you look at the work inside today’s IDS and from IU’s journalists at newspapers and magazines all over the country, he really hasn’t.\nJosh Sanburn, \nspring 2005 editor-in-chief

He loved life and travel and being with other people. He loved students. He loved helping students (even bailed a few out of jail), but most of all he loved watching them succeed.\nBeth Moellers,\nfall 1998 editor-in-chief

It was always incredible to me as a student that this man who made so much time for so many of us also had the time to develop a national reputation. We went to conferences, and everyone knew Dave Adams.\nAndy Gammill, \nIDS staffer from 1997-2001

He watched over his students like a good father watches over his newborn children as they learn to walk, nudging them in right direction but never forcing their movement. We couldn’t have asked for a better patriarch.\nEamonn Brennan, \nsummer 2006 editor-in-chief

Dave Adams was the strongest supporter the IDS could have ever had. He loved the paper and the staff and would go to war for anyone who worked there.\nAdam Aasen, \nfall 2005 editor-in-chief

I think Dave would want us to remember some things. He would want us to take care of each other. And he would want us to continue to fight for the First Amendment and student press freedoms. Oh, and to tell stories that make powerful people squirm. He always got a kick out of stories like that.\nCory Schouten, \nfall 2003 editor-in-chief