Wednesday, Oct. 2

Jacobs School presents annual Summer Music Festival: Chamber Music Series

On Sunday in Auer Hall, the IU Jacobs School of Music kicked off its annual Summer Music festival. \nThe festival began with the Chamber Music Series, which will run through July 15. That portion of the Summer Music Festival includes performances by world-renowned musicians and IU faculty members. All Chamber Music Series performances will be held in Auer Hall.\nSunday’s performance included the Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio. Two members of the trio, violinist Jaime Laredo and cellist Sharon Robinson, are IU faculty members.\nThe Festival continues a tradition of “bringing in faculty to perform with guests,” Alain Barker, director of marketing and publicity, said. “These are some of the best chamber musicians in North America.”\nThe Beaux Arts trio will perform July 8 and 9, with its only remaining founding member of the group, Menahem Pressler. The trio has been around 50 years and has played at the Summer Music Festival since they formed, Barker said.\nBarker said he is delighted to see the return of the Penderecki and Biava Quartets this year. The Biava Quartet will perform Monday at 8 p.m. in Auer Hall. Both quartets will perform June 24.\nThe String Academy Faculty will feature Soovin Kim, famous violinist, concerto soloist, chamber musician and recitalist. Both faculty and students will join the musician in performance, Barker said.\nOther concert series on the agenda for the Summer Music Festival are the Symphonic Series, Free Concert Series and Special Events Series. The festival will conclude with the IU Opera Theater in August. Ticketing and free concert information can be found at http://music.indiana.edu/summer.