Wednesday, Oct. 2

Lilly Library display features works of Kurt Vonnegut

Karly Tearney

After more than eight months of searching and organizing, four undergraduates can now take pride in their findings for the exhibit of the late author Kurt Vonnegut’s work. Their discoveries are on display at IU’s Lilly Library.\nThe exhibit “Mustard Gas and Roses: The Life and Works of Kurt Vonnegut” opened at the Lilly Library on May 21 and will run through Sept. 8. The hard work of the undergraduates in defining the native Hoosier as both a writer and person has made for an exhibit people of all ages can enjoy.\n“This exhibit is popular for both older and younger visitors,” said Public Service Librarian Erika Dowell. “It has been in the works for over a year, and although it was not planned to be a memorial of Vonnegut’s work, it certainly has seemed to be since his recent death.” \nVonnegut passed away in Manhattan, N.Y. on April 11 due to complications from injuries he suffered after a fall.\nCurated by Wells Scholars Seth Bowers, Lisa Dunk, David Pavkovich and Sarah Taylor, this exhibit features drafts of manuscripts of Vonnegut’s writings, correspondences, photographs, first editions of novels and memorabilia, according to the exhibit description on the Lilly Library’s Web site. \nPutting together an exhibit is quite a feat for four undergraduates, Dowell said, because graduate students or the Lilly Library staff are the curators for most exhibitions.\n“When Dr. (Breon) Mitchell (director of the Lilly Library) expressed an interest in opening an exhibit, Lisa, Sarah, Seth and I couldn’t resist,” said curator David Pavkovich.\n“The Lilly Library is known for exhibiting pieces that they have on file, and the curators are the ones who piece together all of the parts using their time and energy to produce a gallery full of information,” Dowell said.\nPavkovich explained that he had work since his years in middle school.\nMany others have become aware of Vonnegut’s work, as there is even a tribute to Vonnegut on display that was submitted from a fifth grade elementary school class in New York who corresponded with Vonnegut on his birthday.\n“This exhibit is bringing awareness and raising interest in the works of Vonnegut,” said Reference Associate Gabriel Swift. \nBorn in Indianapolis, Vonnegut’s Hoosier roots had a tendency to weave into his stories quite often and usually in unexpected ways, Pavkovich said.\nVonnegut looked at society with a unique eye, he experienced life as a prisoner of war in Dresden, Germany, during World War II and survived the Dresden bombings, Pavkovich said.\n“Experiencing the brutality that people, especially the Allies, were capable of, showed Vonnegut the madness of so much that we do but made him cherish what is good in people,” she said. \nThe curators said they want people to get a glimpse of Vonnegut’s fascinating life and the hardships he encountered. Even after the tragedies Vonnegut faced, he remained a positive man. In that same respect, the curators remained patient and thorough with their research of his work.\nSome of the things that go into major exhibits at the Library include gathering the materials and planning the layout and pieces you want to display, cataloging the information, copy editing and labeling the pieces, Dowell said.\n“You usually can’t work a full 40-hour week on exhibits,” Dowell said. “I would say that working for two to three months on an exhibit is the typical amount of time spent.”\nBeginning in September 2006 and finishing eight months later, the team of students spent countless hours planning and editing, said curator Sarah Taylor. \n“Each of us really tried to get to know one aspect of the collection well so that we could find the best material for it,” Pavkovich said. “Once we knew which items had potential for the exhibit, we spent a long time deciding how to assemble them into a coherent exhibit.”\nThe curators said that after all their hard work, they look forward to seeing the finished product.\n“Really, I can’t wait to see the exhibit,” Pavkovich said. “I haven’t been able to make it down to Bloomington because I’ve been studying for my MCAT exam, but I really think that seeing it for the first time and holding the catalog in my hands will be very rewarding.”\nOne highlight of the exhibit includes the personal scrolls that Vonnegut made out of pieces of script that had been either taped or stapled together with his works “The Sirens of Titan” and “Breakfast of Champions.”\nThroughout his 84 years of life, Vonnegut was known for his satirical writing style and good sense of humor.\n“If people come out with a greater sense of that optimism and become more interested in Vonnegut as an author, I’ll really consider the exhibit to be a success,” said Pavkovich. \nThe exhibit is open to the public during the summer Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.