Wednesday, Oct. 2

IU opera student moves to New York

Rachel Lubbers can vividly recall her acceptance into IU’s Jacobs School of Music. She and her friends were extremely proud of this accomplishment, she said. She was on a bus with her performance choir when her best friend made the announcement. \n“Rachel got into IU’s school of music!” her friend said, and the entire bus cheered. \nDuring her time at IU, Lubbers participated in multiple operas. She said she stayed in Bloomington last year as a nonstudent, but continued to be a part of the music school by participating in musical productions.\nAfter a college career so far filled with musical growth, Lubbers is heading for New York City’s Mannes College to study opera.\n“The best moment I’ve had at IU was when I found out I was accepted into Mannes,” Lubbers said. \nShe said she was grateful that IU gave her the tools she needed to be accepted into Mannes. Along with her singing career, Lubbers is a server at Tutto Benne restaurant. \nLubbers has worked at Tutto Benne for two years. When the owners discovered her talent, they supported her by attending her shows, Lubbers said.\nMarci Widen, an owner of Tutto Benne, said Lubbers has performed at the restaurant for numerous events. “She sings for customers on their birthdays and sang at benefits,” Widen said. “She has such a beautiful voice.” \nLubbers consulted Widen about finances, who then decided to throw Lubbers a benefit at the restaurant. \nThe benefit for Lubbers took place Monday at Tutto Bene. Lubbers shared her musical talents while the audience enjoyed the cuisine. The benefit was an interactive murder mystery. Someone was “stabbed,” interrupting Lubber’s solo.\n“Rachel sang beautifully and brought tears to a couple people’s eyes,” Widen said.\nWiden said the staff, managers and customers will miss Lubbers’ presence at the restaurant. \n“We are sad to see her leave, but we are excited that she has this wonderful opportunity,” Lubbers said.