Wednesday, Oct. 2

RecFest draws 3,000 students

Students launch a balloon over a net during a game of water balloon volleyball at Friday’s RecFest.  The event was held outside the HPER building to orient students to various clubs and activities around campus.

IU Recreational Sports presented its annual RecFest on Friday to showcase the ways new students can get involved in athletic activities on campus. \nThe event, part of Welcome Week, drew more than 3,000 students, most of them freshmen. However, nonfreshmen attended to ‘see what is new this year with Rec Sports,’ said Joanne Orrange, the assistant director of special events for the Division of Recreational Sports. \nThe main attractions at RecFest were the club sport demonstrations, the climbing wall, inflatable games, free food and giveaways. \n“The exhibition of club sports is very well-organized and has a variety to see,” said freshman Nathan Wells.\nWells planned on signing up for rowing prior to attending RecFest and said he learned more than he knew about the sport after attending the event. \nRecFest also allowed students who don’t have the time or ability to play at the varsity level to inquire about continuing to play a sport they played in high school. \n“I (wanted) to find out more information, and I really wanted to play soccer, but I am not good enough for the (varsity) team,” said freshman Rachel Sandler said. \nSandler noted that even though she was not necessarily interested in other club sports, all the representatives from the various groups were welcoming and informative. \nBesides encouraging freshmen to get involved in certain activities, RecFest is an important event for club sports to gain publicity and recruit new members. \nSenior Sarah Porteous, president of IU women’s lacrosse’s Division B playoff champions, said that usually about 30 girls attend the team’s call-out meetings and join in the fall season as a result of recruitment at RecFest. \nOrrange said RecFest is an excellent jumping board for those interested in pursuing an active lifestyles as well as gaining opportunities to become leaders on campus. \nFor more information, visit the IU Rec Sports Web site at www.iurecsports.org.