Monday, Oct. 14

20th-ranked IU women's golf team goes to Penn State to play in Lady Northern Invitational

Team looks to build off last week’s 2nd-place finish

The Hoosiers are off to Nittany Lion country to try to tame Penn State’s Blue Golf Course this weekend.\nWith a second-place finish at last weekend’s Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich., the 20th-ranked IU women’s golf team now faces a full field of 14 teams at the Lady Northern Invitational in State College, Pa., this weekend. \nIU coach Clint Wallman said the Hoosiers have a few things to work on if they are to succeed at State College.\n“We need to improve on some things from last week, but our goal is to be in position to win tournament on the last day,” Wallman said.\nIU will also face a little bit of a wrinkle this weekend, as this tournament marks one of the few times this year the Hoosiers will play on a course they have not played on in the past. Wallman, however, is unconcerned. \n“It is the first time on this golf course for a lot of teams,” he said. “We have planned well for it, and it is not a really big hurdle as this is just another golf course.”\nIU sophomore Anita Gahir, who will be one of the Hoosiers competing this weekend, said a new golf course can just as easily be an advantage. \n“Starting at a new golf course means not having bad memories,” Gahir said. \nGahir also said she is hoping for a solid performance this weekend.\n“I’d like a top-10 finish,” she said. “I want to go out and play like I did the final day at Michigan State, and I’ll have a \ngood chance.”\nSenior Lauren Harling also said she is hoping for a good finish this weekend. \n“A top-10 finish would be nice as, I have not had (a top-10 finish) since I have been at Indiana, and I look to improve every week,” Harling said.\nThe tournament takes place all day Saturday and Sunday, and those wishing to follow the results will be able to get periodic updates throughout the tournament on www.golfstat.com.\nWallman thinks IU has the chance to come out on top when it is all said and done on Sunday.\n“If we go out and do our best, we will be there at the end of the tournament with a chance to win,” Wallman said.