Wednesday, Oct. 2

Bloomington hosts Chefs’ Challenge

Brandon Foltz

A mouth-watering aroma seeped through the doors of the Buskirk-Chumley Theater Friday night during the first-ever Bloomington Chefs’ Challenge, which attracted food connoisseurs, local residents and University students alike.\nThe stage was transformed into a replica of the Food Network’s “Iron Chef America,” with three Bloomington chefs battling it out for the top prize of the golden spatula. Beyond the glamour of the prizes the chefs took part in the event primarily to raise money for the Monroe County Community Kitchen. \n“In 2006, the Community Kitchen served over 131,000 meals and 40 percent of those meals have served children,” said host Brad Wilhelm of Rhino’s Youth Center and All-Ages Music Club. \nThe event would not have been possible without The Monroe County Community Kitchen’s Director Vicki Pierce and Assistant Director Tim Clougher. \nThe idea for the challenge spurred from a similar event in Indianapolis, Ind., Pierce said. However, this event was the first to be held in Bloomington. \nFour tables seating 30 people were aligned in front of the stage. Audience members watched in awe as Bloomington’s chefs had one hour to develop a dish on the spot while using sweet potatoes, the secret ingredient. The four judges sat among the bistro seating area at the front of the theater. The judges were Lynn Schwartzberg, a columnist for The Herald Times; Angelo Pizzo, movie producer of “Rudy” and “Hoosiers”; life-long chef Daniel Orr and one lucky audience member. Bloomingfoods’ David Coonce hosted alongside Wilhelm. \nThe hosts joked with audience members in the balcony, and as the scent rose to the top of the Buskirk, fans applauded for their favorite chef. \nAs the event timer ticked away loudly and Jeopardy-like music sounded, chefs Jake Brenchley of Scholars Inn, Gregg “Rags” Rago of Nick’s English Hut and Alan Simmerman of Bloomingfoods prepared a meal for the 30 guests in the bistro seating area and the panel of four judges. \nThe chefs’ creations were judged on a 100-point scale. Categories included time management, products used and how they used them, presentation and taste.\nTickets to eat the prepared dishes in the bistro section were $50 and regular audience members paid $20, with all revenue going to charity – every $20 will go to provide 10 meals for those in need, according to the program.\nBrenchley and his sous-chef Nick Page won first place, taking home the golden spatula, a $25 gift certificate to Inner Chef, a $60 gift certificate to Goods for Cooks and a cast iron skillet. The chefs concocted their creations without an oven. Therefore, the 34 dishes (30 for bistro-seat members and four for the panel of judges) were created by braising the meat. The winning duo then marinated their filet mignon in beef stock, shallots and onions. \n“It’s more fun to cook for charity. Everything went smooth for that fact, and we were more focused in the kitchen because there’s not so much heat,” Brenchley said. \nThe People’s Choice award, voted on by members in the bistro seating area, and second place silver spatula went to Simmerman. He was awarded a black apron and black skull hat, which is a shorter version of the typical chef’s hat.\nBeyond the lucky group of people who ate the prepared meals were plenty of audience members who could only embrace the aroma of food throughout the theater. \n“This event is so quintessential Bloomington because everything here is from town and fresh,” said resident Mary King.\nAudience member Jack Madore and his family plan to taste the chefs’ creations in the bistro section next year. Madore is already on a wait-list for the next cooking challenge. His family loves to cook and is looking forward to next year.\n“These chefs have passion for what they’re doing, and you have got to have passion for life and for cooking,” Madore said.