Wednesday, Oct. 2

Frank Lloyd Wright house relocated to Pa.

Move allows guests to view range of styles within 30-mile radius

ACME, Pa. – Western Pennsylvania has long been home to two of renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s best known works: Kentuck Knob and Fallingwater.\nNow, a third Wright creation, the Duncan House, has been moved there from Lisle, Ill., offering visitors a broad architectural experience – tours of two impressive homes and an overnight stay in a 1950s-era house.\nEach of the homes is constructed in a different style, providing a comprehensive overview of the artist’s work in a 30-mile radius, making it one of just about a dozen places nationwide where several Wright buildings are on display in a compact area. Duncan House is one of only six Wright buildings nationwide open to overnight guests.\n“This is the trinity for us,” said Patricia Coyle, director of marketing at Kentuck Knob. “We sell fantasy here because people come through here, and they are transcended from their everyday life into Frank Lloyd Wright’s vision.”\nFallingwater was designed for the Kauffmans, a family that made its fortune in the department store business. The home is upscale, worth $155,000 in 1937, or $2.1 million today. Its concrete terraces flow alongside, and, at points, mix with the Bear Run waterfall, giving the house the appearance of total unity with nature.\nCurrently maintained and run by the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, Fallingwater gets more than 120,000 visitors annually. Last December, actress Angelina Jolie surprised boyfriend Brad Pitt with a visit to the home for his birthday.\nAt a time when Wright had become known as the “old man of modern architecture,” Fallingwater broke a 10-year lull in his work, tour guide Louise Dean shouts to her tour group over the roar of the nearby waterfall.\nFallingwater made Wright popular again, and he went on to design another 200 buildings, among them Kentuck Knob and Duncan House.\nLocated just seven miles from Fallingwater, Kentuck Knob was built in 1956 for the Hagans, who owned the largest dairy farm west of the Alleghenies. The home is considered a higher-end Usonian, a name coined by the architect for works aimed at the middle class.\nThe copper-roofed stone house has a hexagonal theme. The six-sided shape aligns the overhangs and fills the skylights as the house stands in grand style over the Youghiogheny River gorge.\nWright, who was working on 12 other projects at the time the house was constructed, including the Guggenheim Museum in New York, visited the property only once for three hours while it was being built. He designed the entire structure by looking at topographic maps and interviewing the Hagans.\nThe home opened to visitors 11 years ago, when Lord Peter Palumbo, its current owner, sought a way to maintain the house he bought for $600,000 in 1986. Palumbo, a friend of the late Princess Diana and Great Britain’s royal family, installed a massive sculpture garden on the property, including two pieces of the Berlin Wall.