Monday, Oct. 14

IU comes from behind again to earn 5th victory

Cummings’ 3rd goal of season clinches win in Indy

IDS File Photo
IU Forward Lindsay McCarthy battles Ashley Bower of Ohio State for the ball during a game last year at Armstrong Stadium.

INDIANAPOLIS – The IU women’s soccer team had to come from behind for the fourth time this season to overcome the Butler Bulldogs 2-1.\nButler scored first as midfielder Courtney Lord soared a shot from 30 yards out that went over a mis-timed jump of Hoosier freshman goalkeeper Lauren Hollandsworth in the 19th minute. That goal would be Butler’s only score.\nIndiana’s first goal came on the board in the 63rd minute as sophomore midfielder Christie Kotynski headed in a shot to the back post, off of a cross from sophomore defender Kelly Lawrence.\n“We were ready to play again,” Kotynski said. “At halftime we came out ready to play, and (we) stepped up and won the game.”\nThe Hoosiers took the lead for good when freshman Leigh Anne Cummings scored off of a rebounded shot taken by freshman Chloe McKay in the 78th minute. Both goals for the Hoosiers were their respective scorers’ third of the year.\n“I was just worried about defending after the goal, and making sure we didn’t give up another goal,” Cummings said.\nThis is the fourth time this year that the Hoosiers have come from behind to win a contest. The first three were against Jacksonville on Sept. 2, USC on Sept. 9 and Samford Sept. 14.\n“Any win is a good win, there is never a bad one,” IU coach Mick Lyon said. “But it is a little disheartening that we don’t come out and establish ourselves immediately.”\nLyon went on to say that he is pleased with how well the team responds to his orders and the orders of his assistant coaches at halftimes of games.\nThe team did listen at halftime, and in the second half, IU poured the pressure on Butler’s goalkeeper Annalise Larkin. Larkin ended up having to deal with nine shots on goal, seven of which she saved. \n“When you play a team that you should beat you have to establish that from the start,” Lyon said. “I don’t think we did that. But in the second half we absolutely dominated and made the game completely ours.”\nThe Hoosiers will return to action Sunday as they host another in-state foe, Evansville, at 2 p.m. at Bill Armstrong Stadium.