Monday, Oct. 14

Looking to get back on track

The IU football team hopes to revert to winning ways during tough trip to Iowa

Brandon Foltz

When IU marches into Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, the Hawkeyes will be looking for redemption. \nLast season then-13th-ranked Iowa squandered a 14-point lead to IU and were upset 31-28, sending the Memorial Stadium crowd into an emotional frenzy. This year, the game will be in Iowa City, where the Hawkeyes have won 28 of their last 32 games. Their clash with the Hoosiers will be the main event of Iowa’s homecoming week.\n“Anyone will tell you Iowa’s big and physical,” junior defensive tackle Greg Brown said. “They’re going to line up and go downhill on you. The thing about Iowa is they’re not going to change anything depending on the team, they’re just going to do their thing every time. They’re a physical, hard-nosed football team like usual.”\nIowa (2-2) is returning home after two straight road losses, games that they lost by a combined six points. Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz thinks his team will need to be in top form to avoid a three-game losing streak.\n“It’s going to be a heck of a challenge for our football team,” Ferentz said in a teleconference. “One, getting off the mat and then secondly, having to prepare for a very, very good football team.”\nFerentz said the Hoosier offense poses many problems, but the Hawkeye defense is just as daunting. Iowa is giving up an average of less than 10 points per game and is tied with IU for first in the Big Ten with a plus-five turnover margin. The Hoosiers (3-1), who are looking to bounce back from their first loss of the season, will need to penetrate the Hawkeyes’ formidable defense – a task IU coach Bill Lynch knows will be easier said than done.\n“The numbers hold up after four games. Their defense is very, very good.” Lynch said. “They play good run defense; at the same time their secondary is very well-schooled.”\nThe defense may have to do more than its fair share for the Hawkeyes, however, because offensively they have struggled. Through four games they’ve only scored more than 20 points once. Their last two games they’ve scored 13. Making matters worse for Iowa is that starting tight end Tony Moeaki and starting wide receiver Andy Brodell will both be out of action this Saturday. The injuries will put more pressure on Hawkeye quarterback Jake Christensen. Lynch said he thinks Christensen is ready for the challenge.\n“I like the way he plays, and you can tell he’s a competitor,” Lynch said. “I think he’s got a strong arm and he’s got a presence to him.”\nA possible X-factor in the game will be how the crowd reacts. If the Hoosiers jump out to an early lead, the Hawkeyes might start to press in order to keep the crowd in their favor. But if the crowd negatively affects the play of IU, it could be Iowa’s turn to go into an emotional frenzy this year. \n“It’s a great football environment. I’ve always felt that way.” Lynch said. “It’s 70,000 loud fans in a really tight stadium; the fans are right on top of you. I think our guys have to embrace the opportunity to go play a Big Ten football game in an environment like that.”