Wednesday, Oct. 2

New social networking site caters to Indianapolis area

With Facebook now allowing almost anyone onto its formerly college-only Web site, a new site for social networking has appeared: IndyMojo.com. The site is available solely to those in the Indianapolis area and is intended for people who are out of college. \nFor college graduates on Facebook, “You feel like you’re out of high school and you’re back at the homecoming game,” said Ryan Hupfer, the social ambassador for IndyMojo. Hupfer is a former WTHR correspondent and author of “Myspace for Dummies.”\nBut IndyMojo offers a more relevant and personal online community to college graduates, Hupfer said. IndyMojo members could find an apartment on the site. Other “channels” on the site offer information about different interests, including dining, shopping, schools and entertainment in Indiana, as well as show locals currently online. \n“(For) someone who’s about to graduate, especially if they’re moving downtown, this will be a really great place to plug in,” Hupfer said. “... By the time you move in you could already know a handful of people.” \nKatie MacGill, a senior graduating in the spring, agreed. She looks forward to using IndyMojo as a networking tool in Indianapolis. \n“Facebook is fun because I am able to stay connected with my friends on the other side of the country,” MacGill said. “However, it has been exciting to learn about events specifically in Indy and meet people who are nearby, and potentially attending the events.” \nAnd should MacGill move away from Indianapolis, there is a good chance she may be able to join a Web site similar to IndyMojo. \nIndyMojo is a product of the MetroMojo family of online communities, said Chantal Brenton, a spokeswoman for Blast Media, which handles public relations for IndyMojo. Other branches include CincyMojo, LoiusvilleMojo, ChicagoMojo, SeattleMojo and VegasMojo, in addition to other cities. Each MetroMojo site presents users in the designated city with a list of events happening only in their area, free of charge, Brenton said. \nIndyMojo is maintained by local members from the Indianapolis and Indiana area. Because it is managed by locals, IndyMojo remains true to its local community and provides a place for members to get to know one another both online and offline, Brenton said. \nSimilar to Facebook and MySpace, members can create individual profiles, share content with one another and join user groups, member forums, blogs and more. Still, Hupfer said the site is different from others because it is not just for youth, and is not just for dating. It is intended to be a place for any local residents to learn about what is new and exciting around Indianapolis, Hupfer said.\n“It feels much more closely knit and more personal,” he said. “It’s very relevant because it’s all about your own city.”