Thursday, Oct. 3

Organic food co-op opens third location

Bloomingfoods ‘greens’ its newest grocery and deli

Bloomingfoods co-operative grocery store and deli held an official grand opening celebration Saturday for its third store, located at 316 W. Sixth St. \n“My heart is overflowing with joy that this is actually happening,” said Jean Kautt, Bloomingfoods director of member services and outreach.\nKautt is one of many who worked to open the westside store, which actually had its “soft opening” July 4. \nThe daylong celebration began with the Breakaway 5K run/walk. Proceeds benefited the Community Kitchen and Middle Way House, Inc. It continued with the ribbon cutting ceremony that afternoon, which, in accordance with the store’s environmental aims, used recycled ribbon, said Joe Throckmorton, president of Blue Ace Media, which helped put the event together. \nBloomingfoods is focused on providing as many locally produced, organic products as possible, Kautt said. A neighborhood block party followed the ceremony. It featured various organic products including corn, bratwurst and burgers from local growers and meat producers, as well as an organic energy drink. \n“Organic means no pesticides, no herbicides, no genetically altered ingredients,” Kautt said. “It’s like your grandfather grew it.”\nThe new organic grocery replaced the Encore Café and will provide the four major neighborhoods nearby with a convenient location for their organic grocery needs, Kautt said. The residents of these neighborhoods heavily support the opening of this third co-op.\nA co-op is a type of business model that focuses on service to members, local farmers and community. The business is owned by its members. While the members receive perks, such as a yearly rebate, anyone can shop and eat at Bloomingfoods. There are currently more than 6,000 members of the Bloomingfoods co-op, Kautt said. \nSpyridon Stratigos, the president of the Bloomingfoods board of directors, also spoke during the ribbon cutting ceremony. He said co-ops serve an important role in society.\n “Providing an outlet for locally grown and produced foods is important to me and my members,” Stratigos said. “I own as much of this business as me or anyone else.”\nVarious Bloomingfoods members were present at the grand opening event. Member Steve Meschari and his son enjoyed fresh brats off the grill at the neighborhood block party.\n “We love buying from a store that has more in mind than profit,” Meschari said. “It’s so much more than food; it’s part of the community.”\nThe building was renovated into the new grocery with the environment in mind. The dishwasher that was installed uses only a gallon of water and an eco-friendly refrigerant is used in the refrigeration system. Bloomingfoods calls this “greening the new grocery.”\nThe new westside location houses a full-service hot bar and salad bar. The hot bar food selection is prepared fresh and varies daily. Shoppers and diners can also have specific entrees prepared for them at the deli counter.\nA large dining area located in the front of the store alongside a large window utilizes natural light, and local art displays line the walls of the sitting area. Kautt said Bloomingfoods tries to feature different local art in all of its locations every month. \nThe Bloomingfoods grocery and deli co-op first opened in Bloomington in 1976. The original store is located downtown Bloomington at 419 E. Kirkwood Ave. The opening of its third store marks success for this local business. \n“That type of commitment from our community makes Bloomingfoods the type of special place it is,” Huntington said.\nDuring a brief speech at the ribbon cutting ceremony, Mayor Mark Kruzan said Bloomingfoods supports “community character, community collaboration and community commerce.”\n“We are making downtown Bloomington a destination.” Kruzan said.