Sunday, Oct. 13

Big Ten Network still has no deal with major cable providers

Sampson calls failure of channel, Comcast to reach terms ‘concerning’

CHICAGO – During his first press conference of the season in August, IU coach Kelvin Sampson said he would only be concerned for Hoosier fans if the Big Ten Network failed to reach an agreement with major cable companies by November.\nWith the start of November just one day away, the network and major cable companies have yet to reach an agreement for distribution, leaving only seven million homes in the eight Big Ten states with the Big Ten Network.\nSampson said Sunday at the annual Big Ten Media Day that the short-term stalemate in negotiations is disappointing, but for the long-term, he thinks the network will be beneficial for IU and the conference.\n“That is concerning, because our fan base grew up watching games,” Sampson said. “However, we met with Jim Delany and Mark Silverman this morning about the future of the Big Ten Network. When you sit and hear about where we are headed – we are headed for the right direction with this.”\nThe Big Ten Network will broadcast 17 IU games \nthis season.\nThe network already reached more than 150 agreements with different television providers, most notably DirectTV, said Delany, the Big Ten’s commissioner. The problem is the network’s failure to strike an agreement with the major cable companies, including Insight Communications, which will continue to serve Bloomington for 2007, and Comcast, which will take over service starting in 2008.\nThe Big Ten Network and the cable companies are debating the $1.10-per-month fee the Big Ten Network wants to charge. Saying this price is too expensive, the cable companies do not want to offer the channel as part of a basic cable package, and instead want to place the network on a $5-per-month digital sports tier.\nDelaney indicated there have been no recent advances in the negotiations with the cable companies, saying the network will reach out to the fans of the Big Ten for support.\n“If we conclude that we are not going to make progress, we need to communicate clearly to our fans and consumers,” \nhe said.\nSince its Aug. 30 launch, the network feels that it has strengthened its position in the negotiations by providing many games and quality productions, Big Ten Network President Mark Silverman said.\n“I think the network has exceeded expectations on several fronts,” Silverman said. “The quality, for a network only two months old, has been better than what people have typically seen out of networks that have only been on the air for a couple of months.”\nAfter two months of being on air, Delany said all Big Ten fans would enjoy having the Big Ten Network.\n“I don’t know how you can be a Big Ten fan without having the Big Ten Network once the season starts,” Delany said.\nWhile getting a deal done before the start of the season was a concern for Sampson, he maintains that the network will be beneficial.\n“We’d like for the thing to be done, but there are more people who will be able to watch all of our universities’ teams. I think this is a great thing for the Big Ten,” Sampson said. “Obviously, there is some ironing out to do.”