Sunday, Oct. 13

Greenspan to serve as honorary co-chair for Bowl for Kids’ Sake campaign

Being a hero to a child doesn’t always require a helmet and shoulder pads. Unlike the outcome of a game, in volunteering, everybody wins. \n“The investment in young people is one of the most significant investments we can make,” Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan said, speaking on behalf of Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central Indiana.\nBig Brothers Big Sisters is calling for IU students and Bloomington citizens to volunteer to improve the program. The organization has 230 children on its waiting list. The nonprofit organization’s goal is to raise the number of youth in one-to-one meetings by eight percent, or 74 more children. In a press conference, Big Brothers Big Sisters informed the public about its upcoming fundraiser and their new volunteer recruitment campaign known as “Hoosier Big Brother? Hoosier Little Brother?” The campaign targets men willing to spend time under many flexible volunteer opportunities available through the program.\n“For many children, there are few things more valuable then to have a friend in the time of need,” Greenspan said.\nGreenspan will be an honorary co-chair for the 2008 Bowl for Kids’ Sake campaign. The campaign is presented by Edward Jones, an investment firm and financial-service provider. Last year, the Bowl for Kids’ Sake campaign earned roughly $170,000. For the 2008 campaign, Big Brothers Big Sisters is looking to raise $200,000. According to Greenspan, that $200,000 would account for 33 percent of all the efforts the organization would raise this year.\n“When you become a big brother, it makes you get out and do things you normally wouldn’t do and haven’t done in a long time,” said IU School of Journalism professor Jim Bright, who volunteers with Big Brothers Big Sisters.\nBright and his “little brother,” Jeremy, joined Greenspan in sharing some of their experiences together through the program.\n“Jeremy likes to lift rocks in the Jordan River and find crawfish,” said Bright. “And you should see this guy’s spiral.” Bright and Jeremy have gone to IU tailgates and Indianapolis Indians baseball games.\nThe Bowl for Kids’ Sake fundraising campaign kicks off with a luncheon at noon, Nov. 7, in the Hoosier Room underneath Memorial Stadium.\nBig Brothers Big Sisters aims to provide Bloomington children the opportunity to have a positive adult influence in their lives. According to Executive Director Karen Danielson, the ever-growing need for big brothers must be addressed.\n“We just can’t keep up,” said Danielson. “I’d love to see a day where we have no waitlist.”\nAccording to Big Brothers Big Sisters, children receiving the program’s mentoring model are 46 percent less likely to start using illegal drugs and 52 percent less likely to skip school.